Why So Much Preaching?
1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Intro: There might be somebody here today that is saying to their self, “Why is there so much preaching in this place?
We have preaching every week in the school. We have church three times a week plus Sunday school. What is the purpose of having so much preaching??
I wonder if anybody has ever asked why we have so much football?
They have college games all day on Saturday, starting at 12 o’clock going all the way up until midnight.
Then after the football season they have a solid month of bowl games.
Then they have football games all day on Sunday, starting at 1 o’clock. Then more games at 4:30.
Then Sunday night football at 8:00.
Then they have Monday night football. Then they have Thursday night football.
Then they have wild card games on Saturdays and all day on Sunday.
Then they have the playoffs and championship games.
Then they have the Pro-Bowl.
Then they have the Super Bowl.
I’ve never one time heard a person that enjoys football complain about too much football.
Baseball has spring training for months down in Florida starting in the spring.
Minor League Baseball teams play 150 games, college baseball teams play 56 games, and high school baseball teams play 25-40 games in a season.
Each Major League Baseball team plays 162 games in a season.
Typically, the baseball season lasts approximately six months, starting from late March/early April and lasts until late September/early October.
Each of the 30 baseball teams will play 162 games during this time, resulting in 2430 games per season.
Then you have the division championships and then the World Series which is 7 games long.
I’ve never heard a baseball fan complain about too much baseball.
The Bible says a lot about preaching.
- Preach – 47 times
- Preacher – 11 times
- Preached – 59 times
- Preacheth – 3 times
- Preaching – 27 times
Preaching is found in the Old Testament and the New Testament.
Preaching was done by young men and old men.
Preaching was done on the street and in the church house.
Preaching is done to the lost and it is done to the church.
Preaching can be short or it can be long.
Example off a short message:
- 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
- 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD…
- 4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
Example of a long message:
- Acts 20:9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.
A. Preaching involves a Divine Occupation
1 Timothy 1
- 8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
- 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
- 11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
B. Preaching involves a Divine Obligation
- 1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
C. Preaching involves a Divine Origination
- Jeremiah 1:9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
D. Preaching involves a Divine Operation
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
Why do we put so much emphasis on preaching?
Because it helps us in so many ways.
Here is a short list of why we have so much preaching around here:
I. It helps us have FAITH
- 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
- 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- 1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
II. It helps our FOCUS
- Psalms 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
The more preaching we listen to, the more light we have.
The more understanding we will have.
It provides clarity to help us filter out all the lies, deception and darkness.
The more preaching we hear and heed, the better we can see; the more we can know.
III. It helps us be FIT
- Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
The preaching of God’s word helps us hear about what is wrong and deal with it.
The preaching reveals to us what pleases God and what doesn’t so we can address it.
The preaching of the Word of God helps us clean up our life so we can do what God wants us to do.
IV. It helps us FIGHT
The word of God is our only weapon.
The more we know, the more we hear, the better we are able to fight.
- Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Jesus used the word of God in the wilderness to fight off Satan and his temptations.
V. It helps us be FURNISHED
2 Timothy 3
- 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.