Where There’s A Will, There Are Two Ways
Matthew 7:13, 14
- 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
- 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
I. The Admonition to Choose – Enter ye in…
One of the most important distinctions in mankind and the rest of creation is the Free Will of man.
God created us with a volition; the ability to make choices and decide.
Interestingly enough, the choice of man is predicated by a command from Almighty God.
Man had a choice whether or not to partake of the fruit in the Garden, but God told him not to.
Man has a choice of whether or not to enter in at the strait gate, but Jesus told him to.
- Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
So many people cannot reconcile the will of God with the will of man.
God’s will is made abundantly clear from the very beginning.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Man has a choice.
ILLUSTRATION: I have been accused by the Calvinist of being a “will worshipper”.
Paul said in Acts 20:
- Acts 20:26, 27 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
I believe him to be referring to Ezekiel 33 and the watchman on the wall.
- 2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
- 3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
- 4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
- 5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.
- 6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand.
Question for the Calvinists that believe in PREDESTINATION:
Who’s blood was Paul pure of:
The ELECT who were elected but didn’t know it?
or, the UNELECT that can’t get saved anyways??
The Calvinist’ believe that the ELECT must hear the Gospel in order to be saved.
In other words, the FREE WILL of an unsaved man is non-existent, but their salvation depends on MY FREE WILL to obey the Great Commission??
Notice what Jesus said:
- John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
II. The Alternatives to Choose
A. A Narrow Way, or a Strait Gate
How narrow is it you might ask?
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
B. A Broad Way, or a Wide Gate
How broad is it you might ask?
The bad news is this – you don’t have to do anything to be on this way.
You don’t have to do a single thing to go in the wide gate.
It’s so broad that everybody that is born, is born already on that way.
The Bible says “and many there be which go in thereat:”
- Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
- Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
III. The Assistance to Choose – and few there be that find it.
Here’s the problem.
The way to Heaven is so narrow, and so strait that many will miss it.
The way to God is so specific that God set it up for the world to have to be told how to get to Him.
- 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Illustration: The Ethiopian eunuch was desperately searching for the truth. Philip asked him if he understood what he was reading. His answer: “How can I except some man should guide me?” (Acts 8:31)
The good news is that you have someone here today that can help you find that strait and narrow way!
God sent you a preacher this morning to show you how to ENTER IN THE STRAIGHT GATE.
We have personal workers all over this sanctuary that would love to help show you the EXIT RAMP off the BROAD WAY!