When God Laughs
Psalm 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
NOTE: This message is not available on audio or video. It was preached under the tent to our Christian School students.
Intro: The world is full of mockers and scorners. People laugh and make fun of God, of Christianity, of old time worship, of old fashion standards and modesty. God has a few things to say about that crowd.
- Luke 6:25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
What makes it even worse is not only will they NOT be laughing anymore, but when they are mourning and weeping, God WILL be laughing – He said so!
There are at least three different reasons in the Scripture that indicates to us that when God laughs, it will not be funny. Those that laughed will one day be laughing out of the other side of their mouth!
When God laughs, it won’t be funny because they –
I. Rejected God’s Preachers – Proverbs 2:1-4
- Proverbs 2:1-4 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
They rejected God’s preachers because of
- Their fury – ranting, raving, heathenistic raging (rage: commotion; tumult)
- Their false imaginations – wild, unfounded lies
- Their freedom – no restrictions; no boundaries; no laws, no restraints
They laughed at God’s anointed, and they laughed at God’s guidelines. God Will Also Laugh!!
II. Ridiculed God’s People – Psalm 37:9-13; Psalm 59:1-8
- Psalm 37:9, 13 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth. The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
- Psalm 59:1-8 Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me. Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men. For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul: the mighty are gathered against me; not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O LORD. They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake to help me, and behold. Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah. They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city. Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, doth hear? But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.
- They plot against the just
- They gnash on them with their teeth – (Stephen)
- They lie in wait – (Paul having to be let down from the wall in a basket)
- They target innocent people – prepare themselves without my fault (suffer for well-doing)
- They make noises like dogs – growling, barking, yapping, non-stop noise
- They belch (spew ferment) out with their mouth
- They have swords in their lips – cutting words, backstabbing, character assassins…
III. Refused God’s Pleas – Proverbs 1:20-33
God makes some amazing statements in the first chapter of Proverbs. Without a doubt, verses 20 down through the remainder of the chapter is some of the most sobering verses in the Bible. The one thing that caught my attention though was the phrase in verse 26. It says that God will ALSO laugh! That means that He’s laughing at them because THEY had laughed at Him! What a powerful statement. What a revelation of God’s character!
Why would God laugh??
A. The Call – vs. 24 Jesus is tenderly calling today!!
- Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
- Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
B. The Counsel – vs. 25 He has warned about what will happen if you don’t heed his call.
You know full well what’s going to happen. He’s counseled you concerning:
- His Pain – the beating, the scourging, the cruel death…
- His Payment – he paid your sin debt because you couldn’t!
- His Pardon – he’s willing to forgive you, justify you, and save you NOW!
- His Place – he’s preparing a home in Heaven for those that accept Him
- His Punishment – he preached about Hell more than He did about Heaven!
Yet you still stand there and laugh and mock! Only a FOOL would do that!
C. The Choice – 29 – the choice is yours
They made their choice! They HAD a choice; God didn’t force them.
D. The Calamity
Their calamities involves:
- They will be calling out to Him, after He had been calling out for them!
- They will be begging Him, after He had been begging them!
- They will be pleading for Him, after He had been pleading for them!
- They will be stretching out their hand, after he had stretched out His hand!
- They had laughed at Him, now He will laugh at them!
- They mocked Him, now He’s mocking them!
- They didn’t regard Him, now He’s not regarding them!
Conclusion: One day, God’s going to laugh at some people, but it won’t be funny! Is He going to laugh at you? He sent His Son to die for you and to take your hell for you, and you laughed. If you don’t get saved, then God said He will laugh at you. And friend, When God Laughs, It Won’t Be Funny!