What in the World Are You Doing?
John 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
Intro: Jesus had a world-wide mentality. He had a global vision.
Just in this one chapter alone (John 17), Jesus referred to the world 19 times. In just 26 verses!
Jesus continually thought about the world and the needs of the world.
NOTE: That is why Jesus was born.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son…
- 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners;
In this passage, Jesus is communing with the Father. He is discussing the disciples.
He makes a statement in verse 18 that is mind-boggling.
As thou hast sent me INTO THE WORLD, even so have I also sent them INTO THE WORLD.
Notice the text: verse 18 is followed by 19, 20 and 21.
- 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
- 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
- 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
- 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
- Jesus is acknowledging
Notice the process:
- His Sending – vs. 18
- His Sanctifying – vs. 19
- His Supplication – vs. 20
What was it all about?
- Vs. 21 – that the world may believe that thou has sent me.
From these verses, it is clear – Jesus Christ has sent us into the world.
We are about to enter into the week of our annual Missions Conference.
The world is lost and going to hell.
My question to you this morning is simple: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING?
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING to:
I. Acknowledge the Command
- Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
A. The Significance of the Command – the last command of Christ before His ascension
B. The Seriousness of the Command – “…preach the gospel.” (EXPLAIN THE GOSPEL.)
C. The Scope of the Command – “…to every creature.”
D. The State of the Command – The Great Commission is still unfulfilled; it is more urgent now than ever before.
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING to:
II. Answer the Call
- Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
A. Paul’s Example – vs. 1-5
- 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
- 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
- 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
- 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
- 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
The Apostle Paul embraced his obligation to spread the faith TO ALL NATIONS.
B. Paul’s Expectation – vs. 6
- 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
- 7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
C. Paul’s Excitement – vs. 8
- 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
They had a global impact; a world-wide influence.
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING to…
III. Appropriate the Cost
- 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
- 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
- 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- 18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
We can’t get the sound into all the earth, and the word unto the ends of the world without money!
We will officially start our Missions Conference this Wednesday.
Each message will be powerful and each presentation will be a plea for help.
What in the world are you doing to help appropriate the funding for world evangelism?
Conclusion: The world is dying without Christ. Millions still have never heard. What in the world are you doing about it?