What Can I Do for Missions
Intro: With Missions Conference right around the corner, this message is for every individual that makes up this body. In preparation for this upcoming meeting – the most emphasized, the most expensive and the most elaborate meeting we have on our calendar, you should be asking yourself and God this question: What Can I Do For Missions?
John Mott said: “It is possible for the most obscure person in a church, with a heart right toward God, to exercise as much power for the evangelization of the world, as it is for those who stand in the most prominent positions.”
Every person in this church can be involved. Should be involved. Should look to get MORE involved.
Here are four ways you can get involved.
- 26 And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been recommended to the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled.
- 27 And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles.
I encourage you to read the prayer letters of our missionaries.
Familiarize yourself with their ministries, their struggles, their challenges, their needs.
Read about the souls that have been saved; about the new converts that are being discipled.
Read about the progress of their church planting efforts.
When they rehearse all that God has done with them, show an interest.
That alone is a huge encouragement to the missionaries.
Listen to them when they come to present their burden.
Allow God to work through them in your heart.
- Acts 14:28 And there they abode long time with the disciples.
I Thessalonians 5
- 11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
- 12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
- 13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
One of the greatest ways you can get involved in world missions is to interact with missionaries.
Make a point to get with them.
Get to know them.
One of the richest blessings in my life is the opportunity to hang out and rub shoulders with missionaries.
Illustration: In Genesis 30:27, 28 we learn that God can bless you by who you hang around.
Missionaries are in my opinion the elite of the elite. God’s Special Forces.
Without a doubt, the greatest way you and I can get involved in world missions is to pray.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
- Hebrews 13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.
I have felt the impact of your prayer in these past weeks. I am certain now that nothing has had a more powerful influence on this life of mine than your prayers. – Jim Elliot
The greatest thing anyone can do for God or man is pray. – S. D Gordon
Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is greater still. – E. M. Bounds
I believe it will only be known on the last day how much has been accomplished in overseas missions by the prayers of earnest believers at home. – James O. Fraser
Missionaries hand out PRAYER CARDS. They send out PRAYER LETTERS. Praying for them is very important.
We have our missionary’s names on 3×5 cards on the altar.
We have the list of missionaries in the balcony for a prayer sheet.
We feature a missionary each week in our Wednesday night prayer request handout.
We do more for missions on our knees than anything else.
QUOTE: Oswald J. Smith said, “If God wills the evangelization of the world, and you refuse to support missions, then you are opposed to the will of God.”
- 15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
- 16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
- 17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.
QUOTE: John Wesley said: The question is not how much of my money will I give to God, but, how much of God’s money will I keep for myself?
- Invest your money.
- Invest your time.
- Invest your talents.
- Invest yourself. Isaiah said, “Here am I Lord, send me!” (Isaiah 6)