Walking With God
Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
I. The Cultural Decay
Nobody else was walking with God.
A. The Evil was Continuous – vs. 5
Wickedness of man was great in the earth.
Every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
It was impossible to find anything wholesome or pure.
Everything man thinks up has an evil twist; an ungodly mindset; a carnal appeal.
B. The Environment was Cruel – vs. 11
VIOLENCE: wrong, cruelty, injustice
348 murders in Baltimore in 2019.
People are killing one another left and right.
And it’s not over big stuff – like parents shooting their teenagers for lying in bed all day and eating all the snacks.
It’s over little stuff – like car-jackings, convenience store robberies and gang wars!
C. The Earth was Corrupt
God referred to the corruption three times in verse 11, 12
CORRUPT: to destroy, go to ruin, decay; to be marred, be spoiled, be corrupted, be corrupt, be injured, be ruined, be rotted; to spoil, ruin; to pervert,
The world we live in is corrupt.
The entertainment world is vile; perverted; rotten to the core!
The political world is full of corruption. (Stimulus bill with pork and earmarks for special interests)
The education system is a mess:
Washington Post headline:
Homeschooling during the coronavirus will set back a generation of children
Long breaks are damaging. Virtual learning is erratic. The stakes are high.
As the coronavirus pandemic closes schools, in some cases until September, American children this month met their new English, math, science and homeroom teachers: their iPads and their parents. Classes are going online, if they exist at all. The United States is embarking on a massive, months-long virtual-pedagogy experiment, and it is not likely to end well. Years of research shows that online schooling is ineffective — and that students suffer significant learning losses when they have a long break from school. Now they’re getting both, in a hastily arranged mess. And the kids who suffer most from the “summer slide” are the low-income students, the ones already struggling to keep up.
- Six Baltimore City schools — five high schools and one middle school — were found to have not a single student who scored proficient in math or reading in 2016, Fox45 News reports.
- One student interviewed by the station said he believes students aren’t passing the state assessments because the material on the tests is not covered in class.
But in Noah’s day, it was worse – and yet he still managed to walk with God!!!
II. The Challenging Dynamics
Noah walked with God:
A. Without the Illumination of the Scriptures – he had no Bible
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
B. Without the Indwelling of the Spirit – Old Testament saints were not indwelled by the Holy Spirit
- John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
C. Without the Involvement of the Sanctuary – Noah never stepped foot inside a church
- Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
- Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
D. Without the Investment of the Shepherd – Noah never had a pastor to pour into him
- Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
E. Without the Interaction with the Saints – no opportunity to interact with other believers
- Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
- Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Noah was a just man, and perfect in his generations
Noah walked with God without any of these wonderful gifts.
III. The Compelling Discovery
Contrast verse 5 – God saw…
Contrast verse 12 – God looked upon the earth
- Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
Noah was seeking the FACE of God, and found the GRACE of God!
NOTE: God was the One doing the looking; but Noah was the one doing the finding!!!