Thy Word Is Truth
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Intro: Jesus’s prayer in verse 17 is a blessing for several reasons.
A. It is Personal in its Reference – Sanctify them…
Who was he talking about?
The same ones he was praying about in this whole chapter – THEM (us!)
You can’t read John 17 but what you see just how much Jesus loved the Father, and how much he loves US!
B. It is Passionate in its Request – through thy truth
The One that said, “I am the truth…” was very specific about how this needed to be done.
Through thy truth.
C. It is Powerful in its Revelation – thy word is truth
Truth is a powerful thing.
Lies are powerful. Deception is powerful.
But the truth is unlimited in its power.
- 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
- 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
Let’s look at this verse and work backwards from the ending to the front.
I. The Scripture
John said, “Thy word is truth.”
The most loved book in all history is the Bible.
The most hated book in all history is the Bible.
The Bible is the number one best selling book of all time.
The Bible is the most printed book of all time.
In fact, Johannes Guttenberg invented the first moveable printing press to print Bible on in the 1400’s.
There are 66 books in the Bible; yet it is one book.
It bears witness of ONE God, ONE plan of salvation and ONE central theme – Jesus Christ.
There are 31,174 verses in the Bible.
Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter; Psalm 119 is the longest.
The middle two verses in the Bible are Psalm 118:8, 9
- Psalms 118:8 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”
- Psalms 118:9 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.”
The Bible was written over the space of 1,600 years by 40 different human authors.
Starting with Moses at 1,500 BC to John the Beloved around 100 A.D.
The Bible is broken down into two Testaments: Old and New.
Augustine said about the Bible, “The NEW is in the OLD concealed, the OLD is in the NEW revealed.”
The Old Testament as well as the New Testament are broken down into 4 separate categories.
We call it the 4×4 Construction Method:
The Old Testament is divided into Pentateuch or the Law, History, Wisdom and Prophecy
The New Testament is divided into Gospels, History, Epistles and Prophecy.
It would be impossible in a lifetime, much less one message, to explain the importance of this book.
Everything we know about God, His Son, salvation, Heaven, Hell, and pleasing God is found in its pages.
II. The Source
Jesus is talking to His heavenly Father.
God Almighty is the Author of truth.
The source of our authority is God.
- 2 Peter 1:21 “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.”
THY WORD. Not just anybody’s word, but God’s word.
The power is in God’s Word.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
III. The Sanctifying
SANCTIFY: To make holy, consecrate, sanctify; to dedicate, separate, set apart for God
What sets us as believers apart is our faith in this book.
We believe this book is our FINAL AUTHORITY FOR ALL MATTERS OF FAITH AND PRACTICE.
The effectiveness of a believer is directly proportional to our adherence to this book.
Our ability to stand apart from the world is based on our obedience to the Word of God.
Our availability to being used of God is based on our sanctification.
II Timothy 2
- 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
- 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, [and] prepared unto every good work.
The sanctification process begins when there is an unquestioned acceptance of the truth of the Word of God.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
Reading the Bible will Sanctify you.
- Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Obeying the Bible will Sanctify you.
- Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed [thereto] according to thy word.
Meditating on the Bible will Sanctify you.
- Psalm 1:2 But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
- 1 Timothy 4:15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
Conclusion: The more you read, study, memorize, meditate, listen to, hear, obey, submit to, follow the Word of God, that is the secret to SANCTIFICATION.
God will set you apart and use you in ways you never imagined.
Jesus prayed for you to be sanctified through His truth. And His word is the truth.