They Will Say You Can’t
1 Samuel 17:33
Intro: There is nothing quite as priceless as someone that believes in you.
I want to let the young people know tonight – we believe in you!
- Your pastor believes in you!
- Your teachers believe in you!
- Your church family believe in you!
No matter your background; your family; your talents; gifts; intelligence – we believe in you!
We wouldn’t have you in the services if we didn’t believe YOU CAN!!
If you’re old enough to be saved, you’re old enough to live for God and serve God!
Most of the people you encounter in this world will tell you that you can’t.
I’m here tonight to tell you that you can!
They Will Say You Can’t…
I. Defeat Superior Powers – David
- 1 Samuel 17:33 And Saul said to David, Thou art not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him: for thou art but a youth, and he a man of war from his youth.
The amount of “disdain” that David had to live with is unbelievable. – see 1 Sam. 17:42
- He was disdained by his own father – 16:11
- He was disdained by Saul – 16:21; 17:15
- He was disdained by his brother – 17:28
- He was disdained by the King – 17:33
They all told him he couldn’t – but he did!
1 Samuel 17
- 49 And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
- 50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.
II. Dream Special Plans – Joseph
- 9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.
- 10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?
Joseph had some amazing dreams.
When he was in his bed at night, he dreamed about being something and doing something special.
His brothers told him he couldn’t. They even tried to kill him to keep them from coming true.
SEE Genesis 37:19, 20
His father rebuked him for dreaming special plans. – vs. 10
But he did anyway!
ILLUSTRATION: Sister Brittany Young was a bus kid that married the pastor’s son and is now a pastor’s wife.
III. Decline Sinful Pleasures – Daniel
- Daniel 1:10 “And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king.”
They told him he didn’t have a choice; that he couldn’t turn down the devil’s dishes.
But they did! You can too!
IV. Defy Satanic Proclamations – three Hebrew children
- 12 There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
- 13 Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Then they brought these men before the king.
They told these three children that they couldn’t defy the kings law.
It was satanic! It was forcing them to worship idols and false gods.
They didn’t hesitate to defy these laws.
- 16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
- 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
- 18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
V. Donate Significant Provisions – the little lad
- John 6:9 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
The disciples made fun of his offering.
They belittled it; they made him feel that it was a joke.
But it is never a joke to give what God tells you to give!
This little boy’s donation fed over 5,000 people.
They will say you can’t make a difference with your offering, but you can!!
VI. Discuss Scriptural Precepts – Jesus at the age of 12
- 46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
- 47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
- 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed:
Jesus was only 12 years old, but he could hold his own in a theological discussion.
He could ask questions and answer questions that literally shocked the doctors and experts of his day.
Conclusion: But!! – Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”