There Came Wise Men
Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
Intro: There are many references to wisdom in the Scriptures.
A. The Significance of Wisdom
- Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Proverbs 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
B. The Separation of Wisdom – there are two kinds of wisdom: earthly and heavenly
- 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
- 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
- 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
C. The Supply of Wisdom
- James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
The Bible calls these men “wise men.”
No doubt they were called by their peers.
No doubt they referred to themselves and each other as wise men.
But God calls them wise men. Multiple times.
NOTICE James 3:13 – “Who is a wise man…among you…”
Do we have any wise men here today?
I’d like to examine a few of their characteristics and see if we can glean some reasons why they were considered “wise men.”
I. Their Recognition – vs. 2 “…we have seen his star…”
They only had a small sliver of light, but they saw it for what it was!
They were looking up!
They were facing the heavens!
They were interested in things that are not of this world!
- Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
How much light has He shed in your direction?
It started with the coming of Jesus Christ.
- 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
- 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
- 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
- 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Then it became specific as He revealed “the light of the Gospel.”
II Corinthians 4
- 3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
- 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
- 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
We are called “children of light.”
- John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
- Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
- 1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
We are told to “walk in the light.”
- 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
II. Their Research – vs. 2 how did they know what it meant?
Do you realize how much they had to study to solve this puzzle?
The passages of scripture are so remote and so vague, yet they learned the meaning of the star.
How diligent are we to study? To dig? To research? To learn what He wants us to know?
That is a sign of wisdom!
- 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
III. Their Rejoicing – vs. 10 “…when they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.”
You can tell a lot about a person by what they get excited about.
Passionate about sports, video games, hunting, fishing, shopping, deals, food, etc.
People get excited and rejoice in a lot of things.
But these wise men rejoiced because they had finally located the Son of God.
Their search for the King was over. And they were stoked!
NOTE: The lowly shepherds had the same response!
- Luke 2:20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
The disciples came up to Jesus, excited about success in ministry.
They were excited because the devils were subject unto them.
Watch what Jesus said:
- Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
These wise men rejoiced WITH EXCEEDING GREAT JOY!
Meeting Jesus will produce REJOICING!
See Simeon in Luke 2:28
See Anna Luke 2:38
IV. Their Reverence – vs. 11 – “…they fell down and worshipped him…
Wise men worshipped Jesus Christ.
Wise men STILL worship Jesus Christ.
One day, every man will worship Him. Wise men will do it now!
- 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
- 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Get this – they admitted in verse 2 that Jesus was the King of the Jews.
They were not Jews as far as we know. They saw his star in the East.
But they still worshipped Him. And
God still wants us to worship him.
NOTE:John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
V. Their Resources– vs. 11 “…and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts;”
I love the way this is worded. They opened their treasures.
TREASURE: their storehouse; treasury; their coffers
- 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
- 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
- 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Wise men still give of their treasures to the Lord.
- Proverbs 3:9 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
II Corinthians 9
- 6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
- 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
VI. Their Response – vs. 12 “…and being warned of God…”
Here was a group of wise men, that listened to warnings.
They allowed the warning from God to help them CHANGE THEIR WAYS.
Notice verse 12 – “…they departed into their own country another way.”
When was the last time you allowed a warning from God to change your ways??
By the way – that is a characteristic of wisdom. – SEE Prov. 1:2, 5
- 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
- 11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
How many times has God warned us?
Not in a dream, but through His Word; his preacher; your parents…
God is a firm believer in giving people warnings!
- Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
- 1 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
- 2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
- 3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
- 4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
- 5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.