The Snares of Slothfulness
- The Duty to Work
God gave Adam a job in Genesis 2:15
- Genesis 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
2. The Demands to Work
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
3. The Dividends of Work
- Ecclesiastes 4:9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
- 1 Corinthians 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
I. The Snare of Indifference – vs. 13 The slothful man saith, There is a lion in the way; a lion is in the streets.
See Proverbs 22:13 The slothful man saith, There is a lion without, I shall be slain in the streets.
- No concern for danger.
- No plan for escape.
- No desire to fight or defend one’s self against impending danger.
II. The Snare of Inactivity – vs. 14 As the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful upon his bed.
- 9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
- 10 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
- 11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
- Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.
- Proverbs 12:27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
III. The Snare of Insufficiency – vs. 15 The slothful hideth his hand in his bosom; it grieveth him to bring it again to his mouth.
- Proverbs 19:24 A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.
- Proverbs 20:4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.
- Proverbs 18:9 He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster.
IV. The Snare of Ignorance - vs. 16 The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason.
One of the worst side-effects of slothfulness is the lack of effort to learn.
If you’re favorite line is, “I don’t know how…” you may be slothful.
The diligent will learn and increase in learning.
- Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
- Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.