The Riches of the Righteous Sermon Series
The Riches of His Glory
Intro: The child of God has been given an unimaginable treasure.
The treasure – the riches of the His glory is beyond my ability to explain or define tonight.
I’m going to shoot in the dark with this message and hope I get close.
The riches of His glory is connected to our spiritual strength.
- Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
The riches of His glory is connected to the mystery of the gospel.
- Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
The riches of His glory is connected to our inheritance as saints.
- 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
- 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
- 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
The glory of God is incapable of being defined.
His glory is His essence; His majesty; a combination of His attributes.
First Mention Principle: The glory of God is first found in Exodus 16:7
- Exodus 16:7 And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of the LORD; for that he heareth your murmurings against the LORD: and what are we, that ye murmur against us?
His glory was manifested as a cloud.
- Exodus 16:10 And it came to pass, as Aaron spake unto the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and, behold, the glory of the LORD appeared in the cloud.
- Exodus 24:16 And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.
His glory was manifested as a fire.
- Exodus 24:17 And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
His glory was manifested as an impenetrable presence.
2 Chronicles 7
- 1 Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house.
- 2 And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’S house.
- 3 And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.
His glory is described as a place.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
His glory fills the earth.
- Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
His glory covered the heavens.
- Habakkuk 3:3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
So how does a child of God experience; access; tap into the glory of God?
I. The Request for His Glory
- Exodus 33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
How many people actually want to experience God’s glory?
Moses was adamant that He wanted God’s presence.
See Exodus 33:8-11 and then verse 12-16
Especially note verse 15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence.
Most people are not hungry for God’s presence and His glory.
II. The Revelation of His Glory
In our text, the glory of God was revealed in three specific ways.
- His Goodness was Presented – 33:19
- His Name was Proclaimed – see 33:19; 34:5, 6
- His Sovereignty was Preeminent – 34:6, 7
God was clear; the revelation of His glory was selective.
- It is Powerful – Exodus 33:20; 35:29-35
- It is Providential – Exodus 33:19 – see Romans 9:15, 16, 20-24
- It is Personal – 2 Corinthians 3:7-18
III. The Results of His Glory
In every situation where God’s glory was revealed, they fell on their faces and worshipped.
There are three specific instances where a man saw the glory of God.
In all three occurrences, God gave them a very specific job or task to do immediately afterwards.
Moses in Exodus 34:5-7. The assignment was given in Exodus 34:27, 28
Isaiah in Isaiah 6:1-3. The assignment was given in Isaiah 6:8-13
John in Revelation 1:10-17. The assignment was given in Revelation 1:19
One thing is clear to me; there’s more of His glory that we can ever exhaust or discover.
- 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
- 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
- 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
- 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
- 20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
Conclusion: God prepared us to experience His glory. Do you want it?
- Romans 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,