Isaiah 1:9 Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.
A. The Stubbornness of the People – vs. 2-4
1. The Foolishness of their Rebellion – vs. 2
2. The Failure of their Recognition – vs. 3
3. The Forsaking of their Redeemer – vs. 4
B. The Sickness of the People – vs. 5, 6
1. The Extent of their Sickness – “…the whole head; the whole heart; from the sole even unto the head…”
2. The Explanation of their Sickness – “…wounds, bruises and putrifying sores…”
3. The Exposure of their Sickness – “neither bound up…”
C. The Shame of the People – vs. 7, 8
1. Desolation – “Your country is desolate…”
DESOLATE: waste; devastation
2. Destruction – “…your cities are burned with fire…”
3. Devoured – “…strangers devour it in your presence…”
D. The Sparing of the People – vs. 9 “…Except for…a very small remnant…”
God’s word is clear. He spared the nation because of this very small remnant.
By the way – He would have spared Sodom and Gomorrah for a very small remnant, but there was less than 10.
SEE Genesis 18:32
- And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten’s sake.
Notice a few things about THE REMNANT:
I. The Divine Preservation – “Except the Lord of hosts had left unto us…”
God has always had a remnant.
It might just be one family, like Noah’s.
It might just be one man, like Joseph.
It might just be one woman, like Esther.
It might be just one little girl, like in the story of Naaman.
It might be just one little boy, like in the feeding of the 5,000.
It might just be one church, like in Acts 2.
But make no mistake: God will always have a remnant.
Sometimes it is just one.
Sometimes it is a handful.
They are always a minority.
God will always make sure that there is a voice; a representative; someone to speak on His behalf.
II. The Diminished Population – “…a very, small remnant…”
REMNANT: survivors; that which is left
They were not only a remnant, but they were not only A SMALL REMNANT.
They were a VERY SMALL REMNANT.’
There has always been a small remnant, but the remnant is getting smaller.
- Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
NOTE: The crowd is not always right.
But make no mistake – the very small remnant is God’s gift to the country.
“…had left unto us…”
God left the remnant UNTO US.
- They can mock the remnant, but we are who God chooses to work with and work through.
- They can minimize the remnant, but we can make a difference.
- They can dismiss the remnant, but we are a force to be reckoned with.
III. The Delivering Power – “…we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.”
Make no mistake: God can do amazing things with a VERY SMALL REMNANT.
- 1 Samuel 14:6 And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the LORD will work for us: for there is no restraint to the LORD to save by many or by few.
Look what God did with Gideon’s 300.
Look what God did with 120 in Acts 2.
There is no telling what God can do with a very small remnant in 2020.
God can send a revival across this land with a VERY SMALL REMNANT.
Will you be a part of the remnant?