The Purpose of the Pastor
1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
Intro: Phrase “man of God” in the Bible 73 times
Pastoring is a biblical office.
There are specific qualifications for this office.
They are found in I Timothy 3
- 1 This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
- 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
- 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
- 4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
- 5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
- 6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- 7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Three main words are used to describe this office.
1. Overseer: 1985 episkopov episkopos ep-is’-kop-os
AV-bishop 6, overseer 1; 7 1) an overseer
1a) a man charged with the duty of seeing that things to be done by others are done rightly, any curator, guardian or superintendent
1b) the superintendent, elder, or overseer of a Christian church
2. Bishop: 6 times; once the office of bishop episkoph episkope ep-is-kop-ay’
AV-visitation 2, bishoprick 1, office of a bishop 1; 4
1) investigation, inspection, visitation
1a) that act by which God looks into and searches out the ways, deeds character, of men, in order to adjudge them their lot accordingly, whether joyous or sad
1b1) overseership, office, charge, the office of an elder
1b2) the overseer or presiding officers of a Christian church
3. Pastor: 07462 her ra‘ah raw-aw’ AV-feed 75, shepherd 63, pastor 8, herdmen 7, keep 3, companion 2, broken 1, company 1, devour 1, eat 1, entreateth 1, misc 10; 173
1) to pasture, tend, graze, feed
1a1) to tend, pasture
1a1a) to shepherd
1a1b) of ruler, teacher (fig)
1a1c) of people as flock (fig)
1a1d) shepherd, herdsman (subst)
1a2) to feed, graze
1a2a) of cows, sheep etc (literal)
1a2b) of idolater, Israel as flock (fig)
1b) (Hiphil) shepherd, shepherdess
2) to associate with, be a friend of (meaning probable)
2a) (Qal) to associate with
2b) (Hithpael) to be companions
3) (Piel) to be a special friend
NOTICE THE PURPOSE OF THE PASTOR:
I. Feed the Flock
- Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
- 1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
- Acts 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
II. Lead the Flock
- 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
- II Thess. 3:7-9 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; Neither did we eat any man’s bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
- 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
III. Warn the Flock
- Acts 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
- Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
- Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
- Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
- Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
- 2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
IV. Correct the Flock
- 1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
- Titus 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
- Titus 2:15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
V. Love the Flock
- 1 Timothy 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
- 2 Corinthians 11:28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
- 2 Corinthians 12:15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.