The Power of the Gospel
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
The word GOSPEL is mentioned in the Bible 98 times.
Romans 1:16 is a verse packed with doctrine pertaining to the gospel.
Let’s unpack it. We see:
A. Its Source – the gospel OF CHRIST
Paul was adamant about the SOURCE OF THE GOSPEL!
TURN TO Galatians 1
- 6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
- 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
- 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
- 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
- 10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
- 11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
- 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
B. Its Significance – unto SALVATION
- Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
C. Its Scope – TO EVERY ONE THAT BELIEVETH
- Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
- Mark 13:10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
- Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
D. Its Strength – it is the POWER OF GOD (dynamite)
I. The Power to Convict
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
- 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
ILLUSTRATION: George Whitfield preaching
Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God) sinners falling down under conviction.
Billy Sunday walking away from baseball, alcohol and wicked life Pacific Garden Mission.
One Sunday afternoon Billy was strolling about in the south end of the business district of Chicago, with half a dozen baseball friends. The New York Giants were in the city at the time, and several of them were in the group.
At the corner of State and Van Buren streets was an empty lot. Here a company of men and women workers from the Pacific Garden Mission were holding an outdoor meeting.
Sunday and his friends stopped to listen. The meeting soon took hold of their attention, and they sat down on the curb and heard the service through. Sunday confesses that the singing of the old gospel songs—the same his mother had sung in the little log cabin home back in Iowa—caught at his heart strings and set them vibrating in sympathy with memories of childhood days. A new spirit welled up within him, and created dissatisfaction with the life he was living.
II. The Power to Confirm
A. It confirmed us of our need for salvation – Romans 1:17-20
- 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
- 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
- 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
- 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
B. It confirmed us of our need for service
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
SEE verse 6-9
- Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
III. The Power to Compel
SEE TEXT: Romans 1
- 14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
- 15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
READ 1 Corinthians 9:16-23
- 16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
- 17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
DISPENSATION: the management of a household or of household affairs; specifically, the management, oversight, administration, of
other’s property; the office of a manager or overseer, stewardship
- 18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
- 19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
- 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
- 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
- 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
We have an obligation to tell others!