Psalm 1:2b “…and in his law doeth he meditate day and night.”
I. The Meaning of Meditation
Meditate: Hebrew: hagah meditate; speak; imagine; study; mutter; utter; talk
- Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:
II. The Magnitude of Meditation
A. Produces Excitement – unable to keep it inside
- Psalms 77:12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
B. Produces Determination – unable to be distracted by personal conflicts
- Psalms 119:23 Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.
C. Produces Selflessness – unhindered by those that are proud and perverted
- Psalms 119:78 Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.
D. Produces Humility
- Psalms 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
E. Produces Thankfulness
- Psalms 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.
F. Produces Action
- Psalms 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
G. Produces Joy
- Psalms 104:34 My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.
H. Produces Understanding
- Psalms 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
III. The Moments of Meditation
A. During rest
- Psalms 63:6 When I remember thee upon my bed.
B. During the day
- Psalms 119:97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
C. During the night
- Psalms 63:6 When I remember thee upon my bed and meditate on thee in the night watches.
E. During work
- Psalms 119:148 Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.
Conclusion: Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.