The Pitfalls of Pride
Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Intro: Mentioned in Scripture: pride – 46 times; proud – 47 times; haughty – 15 times; lofty – 10 times
PITFALL: a trap or danger
A haughty spirit goeth before a fall.
There are several things that a proud person will fall into.
I. Rebellion towards Authority
Started in Heaven with Lucifer.
- 12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
- 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
- 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
- Psalms 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
SEE Romans 1:19-22; 25, 28-30
II. Rejection of Accountability
Pride prevents a person from saying “I’m wrong.”
Pride causes a person to make excuses.
Pride causes a person to defend their sin.
I Corinthians 5
- It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father’s wife.
- And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
An excellent example of someone accepting responsibility for their actions is David in Psalm 51
III. Responding with an Argument
- Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
I Timothy 6
- 3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
- 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
- 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
SEE Diotrophes in 3 John
- 9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
- 10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
IV. Resistance from the Almighty
Without a doubt, the worse thing that can befall a proud person is for God to resist them.
The Bible tells us clearly in many, many places that God will not tolerate pride.
Here are just a few of the dozens of biblical references about this Resistance from the Almighty.
- James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
- 1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
- 2 Samuel 22:28 And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down.
- Psalms 12:3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
- Psalms 138:6 Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.
- Proverbs 6:16, 17 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look…
- Proverbs 15:25 The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
- Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: [though] hand [join] in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
V. Ruin from the Arrogance
Our text is very clear – pride will produce destruction, shame and reproach.
- (Our text) Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- Proverbs 11:2 When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
- Proverbs 18:12 Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.
- Proverbs 29:23 A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
In the Day of the Lord, God will deal harshly with the proud, the lofty and the haughty!
SEE Isaiah 2:11-17
Conclusion: 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: