The Mothers Our Children Need
Intro: I will go ahead and start off with a massive spoiler alert. This message is politically incorrect.
It goes against everything you learned in school. It breaks every rule that the halls of higher learning have instituted. It violates the laws of Hollywood. This message will be the most sacrilegious, the most blatantly irresponsible and most unforgiveable message that the humanists and Marxists have ever heard.
This message will be my attempt to counter the progressive’s attempt to brainwash our society.
It will be my effort to take the mainstream feminist narrative and shred it into little bitty pieces and put it in the garbage where it belongs.
What I’m going to preach today is SOUND DOCTRINE. (SEE Titus 2:1)
What I’m going to preach today is commanded by God that I preach WITH ALL AUTHORITY. (See Titus 2:15)
Paul addresses both the men and the women; both the aged and the young.
But since today is Mother’s Day, I want to focus on the YOUNG WOMEN.
America is in desperate need of Mothers.
Godly mothers. Mothers that understand and will embrace their role in the home and in our nation.
Let’s us start with Titus 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
I. Children Need Mothers that are Sober
A. Sober in her Expectation to Learn – “…That they may teach the young women to be sober…”
A sober minded mother will want to learn from older, godly, successful influences.
She will be interested; hungry; desirous to succeed as a mother and a wife.
B. Sober in her Expression of Love – “…to love their husbands, to love their children…”
God wants the young women to learn HOW to love their husbands, and HOW to love their children.
Learning your children’s love language is your responsibility.
Take it seriously.
C. Sober in her Example of Life – Titus 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good…
- Psalms 128:3 Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
The children will see the example of their mother.
This mother is described as “a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house.”
This is an amazing picture of several things:
1. She is Pretty – there’s no better way to beautify a home than flowering vines and trees.
2. She is Productive – she’s a fruitful vine; not just pretty. (fig tree with leaves and no figs parable)
3. She’s Prominent – you can’t miss it – it is evident to everybody that comes to that house.
4. She is Protective – (by the sides – plural) you have to get through her to get to her house
II. Children Need Mothers that are Strict – Titus 2:5 “…keepers at home…”
GREEK – oikouros – the root word is “ouros” meaning to guard or beware
- Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
A. Strict with their Chastening – “…the rod…”
- Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
BETIMES: to seek early and diligently
NOTE: There is not a person in this building that is more sickened by child abuse than I am.
I could tell you stories that would make you sick to your stomach.
I’m against child abuse – plain and simple.
People that have no idea what biblical chastening involves need to understand – there are ditches on both sides of the road. You can be too passive, and you can be too aggressive.
Jesus Christ came to be the fulfilment of TRUTH AND GRACE.
God is a balanced God.
BUT – You want to know what happens when you stop chastening your children? You end up with Antifa. This group of hoodlums and anarchists in the streets burning businesses, looting stores, blocking traffic, kicking out the windshields of police cars and pulling down statues all over this nation were raised by a generation that was raised by Dr. Spock’s book.
Whenever anybody starts talking about chastening their children, people’s first question is, “Is it legal?”
Their first question should be, “Is it biblical?”
The County Executive’s opinion of my child-training is completely irrelevant to me.
Annapolis doesn’t dictate how I parent my children.
Washington DC doesn’t tell me how to run my house.
The Supreme Court – The World Court – The United Nations – The Hague – none of them will determine how my children are taught and how they are raised.
Let me say one more thing about this subject of chastening.
Hebrews 12 makes some powerful statements about CHASTENING.
- 5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
- 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
- 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
- 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
- 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
- 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
- 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
Chastening proves RELATIONSHIP – vs. 6, 7, 8
Chastening produces REVERENCE – vs. 9
Chastening provides REWARD – vs. 10, 11
B. Strict with their Correction – “…and reproof give wisdom…”
REPROOF: rebuke, correction, reproof, punishment, chastisement
Stop letting your children tell you NO.
Children need mothers that will tell THEM no!
Tell them to stop. Tell them to be quiet. Tell them to sit down and be still.
Tell them they are wrong; that their behavior is unacceptable.
C. Strict with their Company – “…a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.”
When did it become ok to leave kids?
A mother’s job is to raise her children.
It’s not Barney’s job – its not Sponge Bob Square Pants’ job to raise your children.
We’ve got a crop of teenage girls today that was raised by Hannah Montana. Now look at them.
She came in millions of homes “Like a Wrecking Ball.”
God didn’t ordain Nickelodeon, the Cartoon Network and Disney Corporation to raise your children!
III. Children Need Mothers that are Saved
- 2 Timothy 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
Timothy was influenced by the faith of his mother and grandmother.
It was an unfeigned faith.
Notice – it dwelt first in his grandmother and mother.
Not a passing interest, or a part-time occupation, but IT DWELT IN HER.
Her faith was a key attribute; her faith was a defining characteristic.
It was so real that the Apostle Paul knew about it. He remembered it.
It was noteworthy.
The mother of Jesus said it best when she was at the wedding in Cana.
- John 2:5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
Your job as a mother was never more clear than this.
It is your job to exalt the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Promote obedience to Him and His Word.
Raise your children to do whatever it is that Jesus said.
Starting with, Jesus wants them to be saved.
Your children need a mother that is saved also, so she can lead them to Christ.
The unfeigned faith that was in Timothy was first in his mother, and grandmother.
Mom – are you saved?
You can be SOBER, and you can be STRICT – but none of that matters if you’ve never been SAVED!