The Importance of Your First Love
Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Intro: The church of Ephesus had a lot of positive traits. Traits that every church should have.
- 2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
- 3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
1. They were labouring – vs. 2 so many churches exist today that do so very little
2. They were patient – vs. 2 – a sign of maturity
- James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
3. They were not tolerant of evil. – vs. 2
4. They tried (tested) false apostles. – vs. 2 they were not gullible;
They found them liars because they knew their Bible.
- 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
5. They were longsuffering in the bearing of their burdens. – vs. 3
6. They must have been extremely patient – vs. 3 He mentioned their patience twice.
7. They must have been extremely busy – vs. 3 He mentioned their labors twice
8. They had stamina when it came to the work of God. – vs. 3
9. They hated what God hated. – vs. 6 (see also vs. 15)
- Nicolaitanes – a word meaning “nico” destroy and “laity” people – “destroyer of the people” – a sect mentioned in Rev. 2:6,15, who were charged with holding the error of Balaam, casting a stumbling block before the church of God by upholding the liberty of eating things sacrificed to idols as well as committing fornication – Greek Lexicon
This crowd simply tried to get the church to do what God had clearly forbidden.
Imagine a church that had this track record!
But Jesus wasn’t satisfied.
He had something against the church of Ephesus.
- 4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
- SEE also 2:14 and 2:20
NOTE: They were known more for who they hated than for Who they loved.
God’s solution to the church of Ephesus was three-fold:
- 5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
God told them that their loss of love was enough for Him to shut the whole place down!
God had a simple – three step solution.