The Godly Life Sermon Series Part 1
Titus 2:11, 12
Intro: We have been blessed by God to have made the acquaintance of the grace of God. I am glad that I am no stranger to Grace!
I. A Sovereign Grace
The phrase “sovereign grace” has been hijacked by the Calvinists.
The grace of God that I find in the Bible is hath appeared to all men.
We do not embrace the heresies of Calvinism here at Calvary Baptist Church.
The phrase “the grace of God” is found 20 times in the King James.
The word “grace” has been hijacked by many people today.
By the way, that is nothing new. They did it in Paul’s day.
- Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Grace is not a license to sin.
- Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
The Grace of God does not permit a believer to do anything contrary to God.
The Grace of God does not permit a believer to do anything contrary to the Word of God.
The Grace of God does not permit a believer to do anything contrary to the Spirit of God.
II. A Saving Grace
The grace of God brings salvation.
Grace offers salvation.
Grace makes salvation available.
Some people do not accept it.
Some people do not receive it.
Some people spurn the grace of God, making it of no avail.
- II Corinthians 5:20-6:2 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
- 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
- 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
- 28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
- 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
- 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
- 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Those of us that got saved, we got saved by Grace.
I know how I made it – I made it by grace!!
- Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
- Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
- 2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
III. A Schooling Grace – The grace of God…teaching us…
- The same grace that Saved us will Show us
- The same grace that Redeemed us will Remind us.
- The same grace that was Extended to us will Exhort us.
- Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Through the Word
- Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
- 15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace,
- 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
Ephesians 3:7, 8
- 7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
- 8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;