The Fowls Came
Matthew 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Genesis 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
I. The Picture
The Sower – a picture of the Lord, the Holy Spirit or the preacher, or anyone that is attempting to insert TRUTH into your life.
The Soil – the heart of the person; the hearer;
The Seed – the word of God; truth; the potential for life; potential for growth; potential for fruitfulness
The Sacrifice – Abram was making a sacrifice to demonstrate his faith and hope in God’s promise
- a heifer (three years old)
- a she goat (three years old)
- a ram (three years old)
- a turtledove
- a young pigeon
The Stealer – the fowls, defined in Mark 4:15 as Satan; He will use anything he can to do his work.
- John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy…
II. The Problem
The problem in these two stories are the fowls. They are a picture of Satan.
But notice – Satan did not come; he sent fowls.
- We do not know the size of the fowls.
- We do not know the number of the fowls.
- We do not know the type of fowls.
- We do not know if they were ugly or pretty.
- We do not know if they were rare, or common.
- We do not know anything about the fowls EXCEPT:
- We DO know the mission of the fowls.
They are come to DEVOUR.
NOTE: They show up when there’s something to DEVOUR.
They come out of the woodwork when there is something of value to DEVOUR.
The problem with the fowls:
- They are Vigilant – they see whatever there is to devour, from a distance
- They are Vexing – they are not concerned about invading your space; they are there to devour
- They are Vocal – the more there is to devour, the more noise they make
- They are Violent – they do not take no for an answer; they will bite and peck you if you get in the way
What do the fowls represent?
Anything at all that enters your life to rob you of the seed of the truth or your sacrifice.
It can be one small thing.
It can be many small things.
It can be one big thing.
It can be one big thing and one small thing.
It can be many big things and a few small things.
- It can be a friend.
- It can be hobbies.
- It can be devices.
- It can be your job.
- It can be your career.
- It can be entertainment.
- It can be sports/TV/movies
Whatever it is that comes into your life and robs you/devours is THE FOWLS.
The point is, Satan will introduce fowls into your life to rob and devour these specific things:
- What God is wanting to give to you
- What you are wanting to give to God
- What you are trying to do to believe God and trust Him
- When you are waiting on a confirmation from God
III. The Protection
- Genesis 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
In Matthew 13, there was no one to protect the seed, and it got snatched away.
The Bible says that when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
- He understood the value of the sacrifice.
- He understood the intentions of the fowls.
- AND – He understood the need to PROTECT the sacrifice.
We don’t know what he used – it could have been a stick, or stones, or making noise.
We don’t know how long it took – it could have been a few minutes, or for hours.
We don’t know if he got help – he may have been fighting them off alone, or he may have called his servants.
We don’t know ANYTHING about this.
But we DO KNOW THIS: ABRAM DROVE THEM AWAY.
He drove them away until they left his sacrifice alone.
He drove them away until the purpose of his sacrifice was completed.
So, you may ask – why is protecting it so important?
QUESTION: DO YOU WANT WHAT GOD IS TRYING TO GIVE YOU MORE THAN THE FOWLS WANT IT?
QUESTION: DO YOU WANT GOD TO GET YOUR SACRIFICE OR DO YOU WANT THE FOWLS TO GET IT?
QUESTION: DO YOU WANT THE FOWLS TO INTERFERE WITH YOUR FAITH WHEN GOD’S PROMISES ARE AT STAKE?
Conclusion: It is up to you to drive the fowls away.
Either you will drive the fowls away from God’s presence and God’s blessings, or they will drive the blessing of God away from you!!