The Downsides of Doubt
Matthew 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
Intro: They were astonished at:
A. His Words – 54 he taught them…insomuch that they were astonished…
- 28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
- 29 For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes.
- 45 Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
- 46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.
B. His Wisdom – vs. 54 Whence hath this man wisdom…
C. His Works – vs. 54c …and mighty works?
- 36 And he charged them that they should tell no man: but the more he charged them, so much the more a great deal they published it;
- 37 And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak.
They were BEYOND MEASURE ASTONISHED.
Verse 54 is crystal clear – they were astonished.
ASTONISHED: to strike out, expel by a blow, drive out or away; to cast off by a blow, to drive out
They were literally BLOWN AWAY.
Verse 57 is also crystal clear – they were offended.
OFFENDED: to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which another may trip and fall, to entice to sin; to cause a person to begin to distrust and desert one whom he ought to trust and obey
NOTE: Jesus predicted that people would be offended.
The same word that astonished them will also offend them.
SEE Matthew 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
But in spite of all their astonishment, they were filled with unbelief.
That doubt had some downsides.
THE DOWNSIDES OF DOUBT are:
I. The Potential will be Minimized
It is clear – Jesus did perform some works.
He performed “mighty works” vs. 54, 58
But – the downside of their doubt was – he did not perform MANY of them.
Their unbelief limited what Jesus did.
- Psalms 78:41 Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.
Their unbelief literally caused the omnipotent God to minimize His potential.
He didn’t fit their preconceived ideas.
They doubted Him because of completely irrelevant information.
So, they let their being offended outweigh their astonishment.
They let what they thought overrule what He said and what He did.
Think about that a minute.
Isn’t that what doubt in our life pretty much boils down to?
We let our ideas and thoughts completely “dethrone” the Lord of Lords.
We let our issues negate the power of God in our life.
II. The Performance will be Moved
God is clear in Hebrews:
- Hebrews 13:5 …for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
The Bible is clear: He will never leave you – but – He might leave you alone.
The Bible says, “And He did not many mighty works THERE because of their unbelief.”
He never stopped working.
He never stopped performing miracles.
He never stopped doing supernatural things.
But He didn’t do them THERE.
He did them somewhere else.
He left his own country, and his own house, and worked elsewhere.
Imagine God not being able to work IN HIS OWN HOUSE!
- 2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
III. The Possibilities will be Missed
The sad thing is this – they never knew what it was like to be healed.
They don’t know what they missed.
They never realized what COULD HAVE been.
- Imagine how much they missed out on when Jesus left.
- Imagine how many sick people didn’t get healed because of their doubt.
- Imagine how many crippled people didn’t get restored because of their doubt.
- Imagine how many blind people died blind because of their doubt.
- Imagine how many demon-possessed people were never delivered because of their doubt.
Many families will never know what kind of home they could have had if they had simply believed God.
Many marriages will never know how awesome marriage could be if they had simply believed God.
Many churches will never reach their full potential because they doubted everything God said.
Many young people will never find out God’s amazing path for their life because they doubt God.
Many Christians will live their entire life missing out on God’s unbelievable working because of their unbelief.
Conclusion: What would God have to say, or do for you to set your offenses to the side, and trust him?
- Matthew 11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.