The Cure for a Double Mind
James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
A. The Possibility – it is possible to be double minded
DOUBLE MINDED: divided in interest; wavering, uncertain, doubting
B. The Prognosis – is unstable; it is not a positive thing. Not like multi-tasking.
- James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
In James 4:8, God directs the double minded people to “purify their hearts”.
This tells me that being double is the sign of dirty hands and an impure heart.
C. The Problem – it affects everything else
A double minded man is unstable IN ALL HIS WAYS.
- It affects your heart.
- It affects your words.
- It affects your attitude.
- It affects your testimony.
- It affects your ministry.
- It affects your relationships.
How does one deal with a double mind when they realize they have it?
I. Recognize your Mind
You know when your mind is not where it ought to be.
- Psalms 119:113 I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.
You know when your thoughts are vain. I know I do!
If you want to know, God will show you.
- Psalms 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
II. Relinquish your Mind – let this mind be in you
- 1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
- 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
- 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
- 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
- 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
III. Redirect your Mind
- 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
Conclusion: Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.