The Christian’s Duty to America
Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Intro: As believers, we have an obligation. The Bible is clear – the nations that forget God will be judged! The key word here is FORGET. A person that has never known God cannot forget God. A people that have never been exposed to God can forget him.
- The key to the survival of our nation are those that know God.
- The solution to the crisis we face as a nation are those of us that know God.
- The ones standing between God and the destruction of our nation are those of us that are called by His name!
- The believer is the only thing standing between a wicked, godless nation and an angry God.
ILLUSTRATION: When God went to judge Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham asked God a great question. “Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?”
God promised Abraham that He would refrain from destroying the cities if he could find just ten righteous people.
The Prophet Isaiah knew the power of the remnant.
- Isaiah 1:9 Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.
Today, as we celebrate God & Country Sunday, I want to stress the obligation that we have as Christians.
I. Civic Involvement
- Mark 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.
One of the reasons our Founding Father’s declared their independence from England was over the issue of “Taxation Without Representation”. In December 16, 1773, an event transpired known as the Boston Tea Party. It was an incident in which 342 chests of tea belonging to the British East India Company were thrown from ships into Boston Harbor by American patriots disguised as Mohawk Indians.
America is a REPUBLIC: a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
The American colonies revolted because they were forced to pay taxes, but they had no say in what happened in government.
It is un-American to simply pay your taxes, yet not be involved in the political process
You owe it to America to get involved in the election of our leaders.
You owe it to America to elect our judges; sheriffs, delegates, senators, governors, presidents.
That is your civic duty!
By not electing leaders that will uphold Biblical principles, you are contributing to our nation FORGETTING GOD!
By not voting, you are aiding and abetting the godless the unbiblical, the unconstitutional people that win elections.
By not voting, you are demonstrating a willingness to TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.
II. Consistent Intercession
Once a child of God has voted, once they have made their voice heard at the ballot box, they need to make their voices heard in the prayer closet!
- Isaiah 59:12-16 For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them; In transgressing and lying against the LORD, and departing away from our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood. And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment. And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.
- We pray when we see the multiplication of transgressions…
- We pray when we see the testimony of our sins…
- We pray when we see the transgressions and lying against the Lord..
- We pray when we see our nation embracing oppression and revolt
- We pray when we witness the conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood.
- We pray when judgment is turned away backward.
- We pray when justice standeth afar off.
- We pray when truth is fallen in the street and equity cannot enter.
- We pray when truth faileth
When God looks down and sees the mess our nation is in, He should find a group of Christians that are consistently interceding for our nation, for our leaders, for our families, for our churches, for our young people
We owe it to our nation – we owe it to America to build a wall of prayer around this place!
I Timothy 2:1-3
- 1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
- 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
- 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
III. Christianity Illustrated
- Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
The greatest thing I can do for my country is to illustrate true Christianity.
The way to exalt a nation is to live a life of righteousness.
- 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
We owe it to America to show them what a real Christian is.
We owe it to America to demonstrate the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We owe it to America to portray the life of a blood bought, born again, child of God.
America is ready to see what a true Christian is.
America needs to see the people of God act like God’s people!
America needs to see the church of the living God demonstrating a life of holiness and godliness.
- 7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
- 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
- 9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;
- 10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
- 11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
- 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;