The Battle for our Little Ones Series
Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
Intro: Satan has pulled out all the stops. It’s not just the men, or the ladies, but he’s after the children. We are starting our new school year next week.
You’ll have to fight against:
A. Those that want to keep them from leaving Egypt – Exodus 10:7-11
Pharaoh didn’t want the men of Israel to take their families with them.
He proposed an arrangement where the men could go and Egypt would babysit their children for them.
- Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
B. Those that want to keep them from Canaan – Numbers 32
- Numbers 32:16 And they came near unto him, and said, We will build sheepfolds here for our cattle, and cities for our little ones:
- Numbers 32:17 But we ourselves will go ready armed before the children of Israel, until we have brought them unto their place: and our little ones shall dwell in the fenced cities because of the inhabitants of the land.
C. Those that want to keep them from serving God.
- Matthew 21:15 And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased,
I. The Battle to Protect Them
ILLUSTRATION: In Esther, war had been declared against the people of God. It wasn’t just the men, or the soldiers, it was also against their LITTLE ONES.
- Esther 8:11 Wherein the king granted the Jews which [were] in every city to gather themselves together, and to stand for their life, to destroy, to slay, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, [both] little ones and women, and [to take] the spoil of them for a prey,
A. We must protect them from the Access to Secularism
DEFINITION: SECULARISM: secular spirit or tendency, especially a system of political or social philosophy that rejects all forms of religious faith and worship.
the view that public education and other matters of civil policy should be conducted without the introduction of a religious element.
The single greatest threat to our children today is social media and the internet.
The second is Hollywood and television programming, including cartoons.
The language, the innuendos, the vulgarity, and the subliminal messaging is straight out of hell
The third greatest threat to our children is the secular school system.
B. We must protect them from the Approval of Society
Just because our society has deemed something OK doesn’t mean it is.
Our government is hell-bent on destroying the family and our little ones.
The state; the Congress; the Supreme Court are not the final authority. God’s Word is!
Sixty-seven percent support giving contraceptives to students, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll. 62 percent said they believe providing birth control reduces the number of teenage pregnancies. Still, nearly half of teens aged 15 to 19 report having had lost their virginity and almost 750,000 of them a year become pregnant.
Same-sex marriage is legal. We must protect our little ones from this abomination.
Cross-dressers and drag queens reading to kids in the library.
Public library is a snare and a trap!
In 2019, 4.2 million young people reported binge drinking at least once in the past month.2
In 2019, 825,000 young people reported binge drinking on 5 or more days over the past month.2
Drugs are now legal.
States are decriminalizing cocaine, heroin and meth.
They are now allowing marijuana in the school. READ NEWS REPORTThe administration of medical cannabis to qualifying students during school hours, at school-sponsored activities, and on a school bus is authorized by State law in an effort to facilitate students’ continuity of medical care and access to education. This law ensures that students who are being treated with medical cannabis will be able to attend school and participate in school activities while continuing their treatment, which cannot reasonably be accomplished outside of school hours.
The Battle for our Little Ones
C. Adversary of Socialism
One of the most destructive forces at play in our nation today is socialism.
The false idea that the government should pay for everything.
“The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.” – Margaret Thatcher
“The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.” – Winston Churchill
2 Thessalonians 3
- 10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
- 11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
- 12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
President Ronald Reagan issued an urgent reminder that “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.”
As Reagan wisely observed: “We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
QUOTE: The insidious nature of socialism, cloaked in a façade of compassion, makes it very dangerous to an uneducated and trusting populace. And as socialism creates dependency, it is well on its way to eliminating freedom of choice and incentives for high productivity and innovation. – Ben Carson
QUOTE: The national polls continue to show that a large majority of millennials have a favorable view of socialism. A near majority favor the “compassion” of socialism over capitalism which, they argue, is indifferent to the needs of the people, especially those on the bottom rung of the economic ladder.
Would millennials be willing to accept communism with its denial of:
- free speech
- a free press
- free assembly
- the imprisonment and often execution of dissidents
- no open elections
- no independent judiciary or rule of law
- the dictatorship of the Communist Party in all matters and on all occasions?
This is the communism of China, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam, Laos and Nicaragua.
This is our challenge: to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about socialism—a pseudo-religion grounded in pseudo-science and enforced by political might. This is our obligation to this generation and generations to come: to make the case against socialism, a god that failed, a science that never was, a political system headed for the ash heap of history. – Lee Edwards
D. Acceptance of Satanism
Witchcraft, sorcery and magic has infiltrated our children through books, movies, toys and music.
- 9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
- 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
- 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
- 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
- 13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.
Along with other Disney-associated productions such as Maleficent, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and The Owl House, this new adult cartoon series, Little Demon, is also set in a spiritually demonic realm.
- Disney describes the storyline as follows: “Thirteen years after being impregnated by Satan, a reluctant mother and her Antichrist daughter attempt to live an ordinary life.” The show makes light of hell and the dangers of the demonic realm. The series focuses on Laura and her daughter, Chrissy, who is the “love child,” produced from her “fling” with Satan.
- The trailer is filled with satanic imagery, animated gore, and graphic violence, such as beheaded chickens, pentagrams, dismembered bodies, and melting human flesh.
- Rather than being represented as dangerous, demonic, and terrifying, Satan is depicted as an average, middle-aged, cardigan-wearing suburban dad.
In the book of Acts, when the Ephesians got saved, they abandoned the sorcery and witchcraft.
- 18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
- 19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
- 20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.
God’s word says that those that are involved with witchcraft are not going to heaven.
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
- 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
- 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
E. Association with Scorners
- Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
There are multitudes of people out there that want to publicly smear and slander God’s people.
That attitude will seep into the hearts and minds of our children and cause them to doubt God and His Word.
It is cool and widely accepted in our society to mock and make fun of Christians.
Our children must be prepared for that and be taught how to deal with it.
F. Amusement of Sin
- Proverbs 14:9 Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favour.
Once Satan ever gets your children to laugh at sin, they will never take it serious again.
- 20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
- 21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
- 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
- 23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father’s nakedness.
- 24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
- 25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
We don’t know what Ham did, but we know what he DIDN’T do.
He didn’t take sin serious enough.
I can only imagine what happened. Knowing young people, he probably went out and made jokes about his dad.
He probably thought it was funny. We can’t be sure.
But one thing is crystal clear – the way he DIDN’T handle it brought a curse on him and his entire family forever.
The Battle for our Little Ones
II. The Battle to Parent Them
- 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
- 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
The word PARENT is a noun, and adjective and a verb.
- Noun; We are parent.
- Adjective; We are a parent organization.
- Verb; We are parenting our children.
This message will deal with the verb usage of the word.
The battle gets greater every day to properly parent our children.
There are a multitude of reasons why it is difficult for many parents to do their job.
1. Lack of Reference. Many did not have a normal, functional homelife as a point of reference.
2. Lack of Resources. Many parents have no help and nobody in their life that thinks it is important.
3. Lack of Reinforcement. Very few people today understand and support proper parenting.
4. Lack of Reward. We live in a society that is trained to do what benefits us; short-term gratification.
5. Lack of Reassurance. No matter what I do, my kids will make their own choices and decisions.
The number one reason why many parents neglect their responsibility to parent their children is LAZINESS.
- 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
- 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
It is hard work. It is time consuming. It is expensive. It is an all day, every-day job.
When you have a child, that child is your responsibility until they leave home.
Biblical parenting requires:
A. Defined Agenda
What do you want?
What kind of child do you want?
You need to determine your destination, and then map out a course.
- Psalms 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
There will be obstacles. There will be battles. There will be enemies.
But parents have a duty to raise their children for God – no matter what.
- Hebrews 11:23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment.
NOTE: They were more afraid of losing their son than they were of losing their own life.
As parents, you have a responsibility.
It will be easy to delegate or ignore that responsibility, but the life of your child depends on it.
It is your job to raise them. Nobody else’s.
Not the pastor, not the youth pastor, not the school, not your extended family.
It is YOUR job.
B. Diligent Authority
- Romans 12:8 …he that ruleth, with diligence…
Children cannot self-govern.
Children will not self-govern.
- Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
God held Eli accountable for his failure to restrain his sons.
Eli had the responsibility and the authority to do it, but he didn’t.
- 1 Samuel 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
The Bible makes it crystal clear what Eli’s problem was.
- 1 Samuel 3:29 Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and at mine offering, which I have commanded in my habitation; and honourest thy sons above me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel my people?
His problem was, he honored his sons above God.
C. Devoted Attention
In the Bible, we have a story of a set of parents that dropped the ball.
- 41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
- 42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
- 43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
- 44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day’s journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.
- 45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
- 46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
Several things I want to point out in this story.
1. Their Abandonment
- 43 …as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
Neglect comes in many forms.
2. Their Assumption
Mary and Joseph assumed he was ok.
It never crossed their mind to assume that he had been left behind.
It has been my experience that parents always assume BEST CASE SCENARIO.
They give themselves liberty to relax and enjoy life by assuming he’s going to be fine.
It might be wise to assume the worst.
ILLUSTRATION: Job 1
- 4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.
- 5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.
Proverbs 31:27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
This week, we will pick back up with The Battle to Parent Them.
Biblical parenting is a job; a huge responsibility.
It is a battle. Not with the children. But many times, with our own ideas of what is really important.
D. Devout Ambitions
Many parents focus on the financial and physical responsibilities that come with parenting their children.
They are preoccupied with their job, paying for housing, transportation, providing food and clothing.
Taking them to school, helping them with homework.
Signing them up for sports, ball, ballet, karate, music lessons, etc.
All those things constitute an element of parenting that is not emphasized in Scripture AT ALL.
There is very little emphasis in the Bible about making sure your kids are fed and bathed and clothed.
- It does when describing the Proverbs 31 woman.
- And 1 Timothy 5:14 “…bear children, guide the house…”
But without debate, much more emphasis is placed on the biblical training of children.
QUESTION: How many hours and dollars are spent in a child’s lifetime taking them to sports practices, ball games, buying them uniforms, attending their events?
How many parents allow their children to miss church to play ball?
- QUOTE: A “Christian” man that misses church to watch sports is a greater contributor to the downfall of this country than any unsaved person. – Stacey Shiflett
No wonder sports figures are worshipped in this country and preachers are mocked.
No wonder athletes have more influence on society than churches, evangelists and teachers.
We have elevated athletics and sports over God, walking with God and following God.
It’s our fault!
2 Timothy 3
- 1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
- 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
There is a HUGE emphasis placed on their spiritual development.
There are numerous verses that deal with the heavier and weightier elements of parenting.
That is – the development of their character and the attaining of wisdom.
Most parents are more concerned with developing their child’s athletic ability than their character.
They are more interested in what goes into their belly than what goes into their mind and heart.
There’s nothing more unbiblical than a parent that is obsessed with the physical and not the spiritual.
Parents are more interested in their kid’s socks matching than their profession of faith and their actions matching.
Your boy’s shirt not matching his pants is irrelevant; his attitude not matching his testimony of salvation is huge.
What good is it if your son knows when to lay off a pitch at the plate but can’t refrain from talking in class?
What good is it if your daughter knows how to play the piano but doesn’t know how to act like a lady?
What does it matter if your kids bring home trophies if they are also bringing home demerits for misbehaving?
We’ve got to teach parents that building character, instilling wisdom and focusing on the eternal is a PRIORITY.
God’s word doesn’t say:
- Fathers, clothe your children.
- Fathers, feed your children.
- Fathers, house your children.
- Father’s bathe your children.
What it DOES say is: Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
If we teach our kids to play but fail to teach them to pray, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we teach them the rules of baseball and soccer but not the rules for life, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we teach them to do their homework, but do not teach them how the home works, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we take them fishing, but never take them fishing for men, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we teach them how to read, but not how to read the Bible, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we teach them how to tackle another person but not their flesh, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we teach them how to defend the ball, but not their faith, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
If we buy them clothes and food and toys and games but do not buy the truth, WE HAVE FAILED OUR CHILDREN!
E. Disciplined Atmosphere
One of the most important aspects of parenting is discipline.
This requires training.
DEFINITION of DISCIPLINE
- training to act in accordance with rules
- an activity, exercise, or regimen that develops or improves a skill; training;
- punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.
Children were meant to be TRAINED.
- Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
NOTE: I have never – once missed a church service or church event because my children couldn’t sit still.
If you miss church events because of your unruly child, YOU HAVE FAILED YOUR CHILD.
Not only are you accommodating their wrong behavior, BUT YOU ARE BLAMING THEM FOR YOUR YOURS.
If I used my children as an excuse to not be faithful to God, I’m afraid He’d take them away from me.
Training involves discipline. Note these passages on the subject:
- 13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
- 14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
- Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
- Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so [do] stripes the inward parts of the belly.
Children that are undisciplined are children that are unresponsive and uncooperative.
Children that are undisciplined are unlawful, disrespectful and will ultimately curse their parents.
- 2 As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.
- 3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool’s back.
Unruly and disrespectful children might be a common thing today, but there was a day when it was fatal.
When giving the nation of Israel His law:
- Exodus 21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
- 8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.
- 9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
- Proverbs 20:20 Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness.
THE BIBLE IS CLEAR: Chastening produces reverence.
- Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Allowing a child to pitch a fit, stomp, pout, hit out, talk back, without consequence is unacceptable.
If your child does that ONE SINGLE TIME – address it and fix it RIGHT THEN.
Nothing else matters. Your schedule just changed. Your mission just changed.
Your child will know WHEN they can do it and get away with it.
People say – my child doesn’t do that at home.
First of all, I don’t believe it. They do – you just don’t notice it.
Secondly, they will do it when they can embarrass you and think you can’t respond.
If they misbehave in front of people, they deserve to be rebuked in front of people.
- Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.
- 1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
ILLUSTRATION: Jesus didn’t pull Peter off to the side to rebuke him. Peter rebuked Jesus front of the whole group. Jesus called Peter out and rebuked him in front of the whole group.
- 30 And he charged them that they should tell no man of him.
- 31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
- 32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
- 33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.
F. Daily Admonition
1. Admonish them about OBEYEING
There cannot be enough emphasis placed in the importance of teaching your child to obey.
Allowing them to be disobedient even a little bit is more destructive to them than we can begin to imagine.
NOTE: The first sin committed on the earth was Eve disobeyed God.
- That one sin cast the entire human race into death and damnation.
- That one sin unlocked the doors of Hell for the human race.
- That one sin ended their existing relationship with God.
- That one sin demanded the crucifixion of the Son of God.
- That one sin changed everything.
Disobedience is a very serious offense.
Note God’s perspective on this sin.
I Samuel 15
- 22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
- 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
- Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
- Colossians 3:20 Children, obey [your] parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
One of the signs of the last days is a list of sins found in 2 Timothy 3:
- 1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
- 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
As a parent – if you allow your child to disobey – even once – even in small things, you are slowly destroying them.
Ignoring acts of disobedience are one of the most detrimental things you can do to your child.
You are teaching them to rebel; to challenge authority and to falsely assume they can do so without recourse.
In the real world, disobedience has consequences.
If your child can disobey without consequences, you are to blame for their misguided perception of reality.
Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
1. Admonish them about OBEYING (continued)
Teach them to obey the first time they are told.
“Delayed obedience is disobedience.”
Disobedience (the word) is found 13 times in Scripture.
The first time it’s found, it was a man of God. Notice God’s response:
- 1 Kings 13:26 And when the prophet that brought him back from the way heard thereof, he said, It is the man of God, who was disobedient unto the word of the LORD: therefore the LORD hath delivered him unto the lion, which hath torn him, and slain him, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake unto him.
Teaching your child to obey is a much greater issue than whatever it is you’re telling them to do.
Obedience is the proper response to authority.
Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines OBEY with the following:
- To comply with the commands, orders or instructions of a superior, or with the requirements of law, moral, political or municipal; to do that which is commanded or required, or to forbear doing that which is prohibited.
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord. Ephesians 6:1.“
“Servants, obey in all things your masters. Colossians 3:22.“
“He who has learned to obey, will know how to command.“
- 2. To submit to the government of; to be ruled by.
“All Israel obeyed Solomon. 1 Chronicles 29:23; Daniel 7:27.“
- To submit to the direction or control of. Seamen say, the ship will not obey the helm.
“Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Romans 6:12;
“Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.” James 3:3.
SEE Romans 1:28-32
I Timothy 1
- 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
- 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
Disobedient to parents is a SERIOUS OFFENCE in the sight of God.
Failure to admonish and train your child to obey is a gross sin.
2. Admonish them about OBSERVING
- Proverbs 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
- Proverbs 5:1 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
One way the word OBSERVE is used is to DO or to FOLLOW a prescribed teaching or doctrine.
OLD TESTAMENT EXAMPLE:
- Deuteronomy 32:46 And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.
NEW TESTAMENT EXAMPLE:
- Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
The Bible uses the word OBSERVE in several ways.
One usage is to see or to notice.
- Proverbs 23:26 My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.
- Mark 6:20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.
3. Admonish them about OBJECTING
- Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
- Proverbs 4:14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
- Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Prime examples of parents that taught their children to OBJECT:
Objected to the Indiscretions of his Family
- Genesis 37:2 These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren; and the lad was with the sons of Bilhah, and with the sons of Zilpah, his father’s wives: and Joseph brought unto his father their evil report.
Objected to the Indulging of his Flesh
- 7 And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.
- 8 But he refused…
- 10 And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her.
- 12 And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out.
3. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego