That I May Know
A. In vss. 1-6, Paul is Warnings
1. He warned them about their Foes – vs. 2
2. He warned them about their Flesh – vs. 3-6
B. In vss. 7-9, Paul is Winning –…that I may win Christ
C. In vss. 10-16, Paul is Wishing
In verses 10-16, we see the yearnings of a mighty warrior; the desires of one of God’s choice servants.
I. His Person …that I may know Him.
Understand this: Paul already knew the Lord.
- 2 Timothy 1:12 …for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
You can know Him too!
- John 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
- John 10:4, 14 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
But Paul wanted to know Him more.
II. His Power – vs. 10 …and the power of his resurrection…
Note: It is believed that Paul wrote Philippians from Rome around A.D. 62. (1:13; 4:22)
On his first missionary journey, Paul had been stoned, dragged outside the city of Lystra and left for dead.
Paul had already experienced the resurrection power of Jesus Christ; both spiritually and physically.
III. His Pain – vs. 10…and the fellowship of his sufferings…
- II Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
- Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
IV. His Pattern – vs. 10 …being made conformable unto his death;
- Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
V. The Prize – vs. 14 … I press toward the mark for the prize
- Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;