Taking God for Granted
Intro: One of the greatest sins of the church today is taking God for granted.
We depended upon him for salvation.
We depended upon Him for our deliverance.
But once He begins to bless us, we cast Him aside – we forget Him.
How is that even possible?
How does a person do that?
We take God for granted when we take for granted…
I. The Message in His Word
When we don’t read His Word, we are taking this wonderful gift for granted.
Thousands of language groups still do not have the Bible in their language.
Did you read your Bible this week?
If not, you are taking God for granted.
- Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
II. The Mercy at His Throne – don’t pray
- Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
- Isaiah 59:16 And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.
- 40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
- 41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
III. The Meeting at His House – don’t go to church
- Nehemiah 13:11 Then contended I with the rulers, and said, Why is the house of God forsaken? And I gathered them together, and set them in their place.
- Psalms 63:2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
- Psalms 77:13 Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?
- Psalms 96:6 Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
- Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
IV. The Ministry of His Spirit – don’t listen to His voice
- John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
- Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.