Such Contradiction of Sinners
Hebrews 12:4 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Intro: I preached from Hebrews 12 on Wednesday evening. This statement in verse 4 has been eating at me for 4 days. Let’s examine this powerful passage of Scripture.
A. The Consideration of the Savior – when all else fails, consider Jesus!
If you are a Christian, you are – according to your own testimony, a follower of Jesus Christ.
- When you don’t know what to do, look at Jesus.
- When you don’t know how to respond, look at Jesus.
- When you don’t know what to say, consider Jesus!
- When you are fresh out of ideas, consider Jesus!
B. The Contradiction of the Sinners – such contradiction of sinners against himself
- It was Painful – the Bible says He had to endure it. It hurt!
- It was Personal – they were all ‘AGAINST HIMSELF’
It was Prideful – imagine being so proud that you contradict the Son of God
C. The Correction of the Saint – lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
You think you’ve got it bad? Just because someone contradicts you or doesn’t believe you?
The difference in you and Jesus is this – He was infallible; we’re not!
We think we’re right, but we can’t always be right.
But He was never wrong. Yet he had to endure contradictions from sinful people.
Jesus endured SUCH CONTRADICTION OF SINNERS …
I. Against His Past
Example 1: Who His Father really was.
- 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
- 49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?
- 50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
- 54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
- 55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
- 56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
- 57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
- 58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
- 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
- 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
- 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
- 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
- 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
- 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
II. Against His Power
- 22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
- 23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
- 24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
- 25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
- 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
- 27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
- 28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
III. Against His Prophecies
From His own disciples.
- 21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
- 22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
- 23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Peter took Jesus and began to rebuke him….????!!!!!
From the Jews
- 18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
- 19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
- 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
- 21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
They contradicted his words.
- 56 For many bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together.
- 57 And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,
- 58 We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.
- 59 But neither so did their witness agree together.
I never knew that CNN had reporters that far back.
I did not know that MSDNC had a panel of experts at the trial of Jesus, but apparently they did.
They mocked him with their contradiction while He was on the cross.
- Matthew 27:40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
IV. Against His Plan
- John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
- John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
- Non-believers contradict Jesus – Believers conform to Jesus.
- The unsaved fight Jesus Christ – Saved people follow Jesus Christ.
- Non-believers berate Him – Christians believe Him.
- The lost have always contradicted Jesus, and they still are today!
WILL YOU BELIEVE JESUS TODAY?
He came to seek and to save that which was lost.
But there are people today that do not believe they are lost.
They do not think they need to be saved.
They refuse to listen to His voice of invitation and receive His gift of salvation.
Jesus Christ is still enduring the contradiction of sinners.
Will you swallow your pride and receive Him today?