Strength In Numbers
Intro: So many Christians try to live their life alone. They fail many times because they isolate themselves. It is no mistake that God likened the church to a flock of sheep. There is a strength in numbers.
I. For Working
- vs. 9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
When Jesus called the seventy, He sent them out by twos.
The biblical support for working in twos is clear.
- Luke 10:1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
The secret to getting involved in the ministry and church is finding others to work with.
Nobody wants to work alone, especially if they don’t have to.
ILLUSTRATION: As a missionary in Africa, the first few years were lonely. I had to do everything by myself, and it was difficult.
We will be emphasizing Get Plugged In this month.
The work is much more productive when we work in numbers.
II. For Walking
- vs. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
Remember the TV commercial that became so famous a few years ago?
I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!
That’s what happens when you’re by yourself.
There is nobody there to get you back up on your feet.
- 1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
- 2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
The people of God need each other!
People make the terrible mistake of isolating themselves from the church, and then they fall.
III. For Warming
- vs. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
The secret to staying on fire for God is to hang around people that are on fire!
The New Testament is filled with examples of people experiencing revival TOGETHER!
- 1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
- 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
- 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Notice Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
There is no way you can get cold and backslid on God staying around people that is on fire!
IV. For Warring
- vs. 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
The power of numbers in a time of war is immeasurable.
People that try to fight alone cannot withstand.
Even the Lone Ranger had Tonto!
ILLUSTRATION: Uriah the Hittite was a mighty man. But he couldn’t fight the enemy alone!
- 2 Samuel 11:15 And he wrote in the letter, saying, Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die.
Don’t try to fight alone.
Stay with the army.