Someone Like You
Psalm 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Intro: There seems to be two ditches that people find themselves in.
One ditch is an unhealthy and unbiblical sense of entitlement. They think God owes them everything.
They live their whole life with their hands out, wanting God to fill the role of Father but they have no sense of obligation to fill the role of the child of God.
Their attitude is like a spoiled brat wanting the parent to wait on them hand and foot and yet they do not want any responsibilities, duties, or accountability.
ILLUSTRATION: Free yogurt last night at the Sweet Frog due to power outage.
The other ditch is also unbiblical.
That is the ditch of feeling that they are nothing and that God can never do anything for them.
Several passages of scripture reflect this sobering awe at the fact that God would ever look at us.
- Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
- Psalms 144:3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
There are a lot of people today that feel that they are unworthy or undeserving of God.
People today are struggling with believing that God can and God will do something for SOMEONE LIKE THEM.
They are plagued with feelings of:
- Insecurity – their life has been filled with rejection
- Insufficiency – they have never felt that they measured up to people’s expectations
- Illegitimacy – Satan attacking your sonship; people coming from broken homes
- Why would God want to Love someone like me?
The question that plagues them is “Why would God love me?”
They don’t seem to have a problem with God loving other people – just not someone like them.
- Why would God want to Listen to someone like me?
They don’t have a problem understanding why God would listen to the pastor or the evangelist.
They don’t seem to have a hard time believing God can hear and answer the prayers of others.
It’s THEIR prayers they can’t believe God will hear.
They can’t understand why God would incline His ear unto THEIR cry.
They can’t understand why God would hear their petition.
They can’t believe that they’ve been granted access to the very throne of God for THEIR needs.
- Why would God want to Lead someone like me?
They struggle understanding why God cares enough about them to direct their life.
They don’t understand why God would want to lead them, walk with them and beside them.
They can’t accept the fact that God has a plan and a purpose for their life – that they matter.
Maybe your earthly parents didn’t point you in the right direction.
Maybe they didn’t have any guidelines or parameters for you to follow.
Maybe they didn’t care if you turned out or not or what you became when you grew up.
But God does!
God wants to take you by the hand and lead you through life.
Someone Like You…
I. Can be Born Again
- Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
- 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
I Corinthians 6
- 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
- 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
- 5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
- 7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
- 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
The Thief on the Cross
- 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
- 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Someone Like You…
II. Can be Blessed Again
Have you ever felt like God has walked away from you, never to bless you or touch you ever again?
Have you ever felt like you walked away from God and you would never have another chance?
Have you ever gone through a dry time spiritually and felt like your best days were behind you?
Have you felt like the blessings of God upon your life were a think of the past?
Guest what? Someone like you – someone that did what you did – can be blessed again.
Someone that made the mistakes – fell on your face – messed up – can be blessed again.
A. The Blessing of Purging – vs. 7 “Purge me…”
- 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
- 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
B. The Blessing of Praise – vs. 8 “Make me to hear joy and gladness…”
- 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
- 14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
- 15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
C. The Blessing of Presence – vs. 11 “Cast me not away from thy presence…”
- 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
D. The Blessing of Pleasure
- 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation
E. The Blessing of Protection – vs. 12 “…uphold me…”
- 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Someone Like You…
III. Can be Bold Again
Satan has succeeded in intimidating, suppressing, and afflicting the people of God.
The mighty church of God – the one that has ALL POWER – the one that the GATES OF HELL cannot prevail against has been pushed into hiding; into a state of fear, paralyzed with fright.
I want to declare this morning that no matter how hurt you are, how scared you are, how intimidated you feel right now, that SOMEONE LIKE YOU can be BOLD AGAIN!
Someone like you can have their confidence restored.
Someone like you can have your courage revived.
Someone like you can have your will to stand and will to fight renewed.
- Exodus 3:11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?
- 15 And he said unto him, Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.
- 16 And the LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man.
- 5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- 6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
- 7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.
- 8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.
- 9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
- 10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.
The disciples after the crucifixion were scared to death.
They went into hiding.
On the first day of the week, they were hiding in the upper room.
- John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
Here they were – Called, Commissioned, but hiding behind locked doors afraid.
They were Equipped, Educated and Experienced – but they were scared to death.
Their leader had been killed. Their pastor had been taken from them.
On the road, walking to Emmaus, they said:
- 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
- 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
- 21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
But just a few chapters later, we find them preaching in the streets of Jerusalem.
Three thousand people were saved in Acts 2
They healed the crippled man in Acts 3.
They saw 5,000 saved in Acts 4.
- Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
I’m sure Peter looked in the mirror that night – amazed that Someone Like Him could be bold again.
The one that had slept in the Garden of Gethsemene.
The one that had followed afar off.
The one that had denied the Lord.
The one that had cussed and ruined his testimony.
The one that Jesus looked at and then he went out and wept bitterly.
The one that had said, I go a fishing.
The one that had fished all night without any clothes on.
The one that had failed God so many times.
God had given him his backbone again.
God had given him his courage again.
God had given him his voice again.
God had given him his boldness again.
I’m here today to tell you – if God can do it for someone like Peter, God can do it for SOMEONE LIKE YOU!