Sleeping In A Storm
Intro: Jesus was in an environment of:
A. Powerful Danger – vs. 37 …a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship’
NOTE: Luke 8:23 says that they were in jeopardy…
B. Potential Death – vs. 37 …so that it was now full.
NOTE: A boat full of water is a casket.
C. Painful Disrespect – vs. 38 …Master, carest thou not that we perish?
Because he did not share their panic; their fear; their worry, they assumed he didn’t care.
D. Perplexing Doubt – vs. 40 Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
Jesus was genuinely perplexed by their reaction.
In His mind, they were completely overreacting.
How could Jesus sleep during that storm?
How could Jesus go to the back of the ship, pull out a pillow, and go to sleep?
With the ship rolling and tossing all over that sea, how could Jesus lay down
I. The Weariness from His Activity
He was tired from ministry. SEE 4:1, 2, 33, 34
- …great multitude – vs. 1
- …whole multitude was by the sea – vs. 1
- …when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him – vs. 10
- …and with many such parables spake the word – vs. 33
- …when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples – vs. 34
He had been working so much, he had no problem sleeping.
Something about staying busy furthering the work of God makes it easier to sleep.
Perspiration protects perspective.
Work drowns out worry.
The secret sometime to enjoying a good rest is employing a good workout beforehand.
II. The Worthlessness of Their Anxiety
The disciples were worried sick, but it did nothing to calm the storm.
- The waves were not diminished by their wailing.
- The storm was not affected by their stress.
- The clouds did not dissipate because of their cries.
- The darkness was not lifted one iota by their dismay.
- The flooding was not slowed down by their fear.
- Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing…
III. The Wonder of His Authority
Jesus slept during the storm because He recognized His authority over the storm.
He had no fear because He knew His options.
He knew all he had to do was rebuke the wind and it would all be fine.
He was very much aware of the authority that He had over the situation.
What about us?
We cannot calm the seas, but our Father can!
We cannot calm the waves, but our Heavenly Father can.
We cannot make the storm disappear, but I know a man who can!
The authority we have through prayer and as a child of God is a wonder!
Nothing can touch us without His permission.
Nothing can hurt us without His approval.
Our Lord and Master is the Lord and Master of the storm; of the seas; of the waves.
We can sleep through the storm because our Father is on duty!