Seeing Jesus Only
Matthew 17:8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.
Intro: People today are having a hard time seeing the Lord. There’s too much going on, too much competition and too many people and things clamoring for attention. The Inner Circle in this story finally got to the place where they saw no man, except Jesus. How did this come about? Here are some steps you and I can take to keep Jesus the main attraction in our lives.
I. Elevation – vs. 1 “And after six days, Jesus…bringeth them up…”
David said in Psalm 40 – he brought me up out of an horrible pit
This is a picture of salvation because:
- After six days, they were entering into His rest.
- He raised them up to sit together in heavenly places.
- He was the one that did it; they didn’t go up by themselves. (not by works!)
II. Separation – vs. 1 “…apart…” He took them OUT OF THE WORLD!
- Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
- Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
You can see him, when “the things of this earth grow strangely dim…”
When you get your eyes off of the fun, the fashions, the fads, the foolishness of this world, you are opening up a grand opportunity to feast your eyes on something that really matters!
III. Transfiguration – vs. 2 “…and was transfigured…”
Their perception of Jesus CHANGED! They saw him in a different light!
To the world, he was despised and rejected; to them, he was beautiful!
To the world, the OT Tabernacle was ugly with badgers skins on the outside, but on the inside, it was decorated with gold and embroidered works and scarlet and blue and purple….
You’ll never see Jesus only until you see him like He really is!!!
- Instead of seeing a God to fear, you see a God that wants to be your Friend.
- Instead of seeing a God that wants you to serve, you see a God that you want to serve.
- Instead of seeing a God that complicates your life, you see a God that makes life worth living.
- Instead of seeing a God that demands your best, you see a God that deserves your best.
- Instead of seeing a God that hinders your plans, you see a God that holds your plans.
- Instead of seeing a God that asks you to sacrifice, you see a God that sacrificed for you.
IV. Association – vs. 3 “there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.”
A major obstacle to people seeing Jesus only is the people they associate with.
Having the right kind of friends will help you see Jesus the way He really is.
After spending some time with Jesus and HIS friends, they didn’t see their friends anymore!! So who are Jesus’ friends?
- John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
A good way to get in a place to see Jesus only is to find people that are already talking to Him and He is talking to them.
Finding friends that have a prayer life and walk with God is vital to staying on track with God.
Finding people that spend time with God is one way to SEEING JESUS.
V. Exhilaration – vs. “…Lord, it is good for us to be here…”
You’ll never see the Lord if you’re always wanting to be somewhere else!!
- Psalms 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.
- Motivation – vs. 4 “… let us make here three tabernacles…”
- To Work – building three tabernacles would require some serious effort!
- To Witness – the tabernacles would be a constant reminder of the experience
- To Worship – they were prepared to do some serious worshipping!!
VI. Illumination – vs. 5 “…a bright cloud overshadowed them…”
The light came on so to speak; They saw things in a different “light”.
They received illumination concerning:
- His Person – confirmation that Jesus was exactly who He had said he was!
- His Pleasure – they learned that God was only pleased with what Jesus did
- His Proclamations – they realized that what Jesus said was the Word of God!
VII. Humiliation – vs. 6 “…they fell on their face and were sore afraid.”
QUOTE: “The secret to seeing His face is spending time on yours.”
- James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
- 1 Samuel 15:17 And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the LORD anointed thee king over Israel?
- Pride hinders the blessings of God
- Pride hinders your joy in Jesus
- Pride blinds us to His true being.
- Pride robs us of the delight we can experience when we submit to His will
Conclusion: I personally believe that the secret to living for God and staying faithful to Him is having a personal experience when you see no man – save Jesus only. It will forever change your life. Ask God to remove all of the distractions in your heart, your mind and ask Him to reveal Himself to you in a powerful, personal way. You will never be the same.