Say No to Slop
Luke 15:16, 17
Intro: God’s people today are being pulled away from God’s will by Satan’s slop.
Slop was made for sows – not sons.
God has bread for his sons. And plenty of it.
The devil has slop.
Hog feed is available in stores today.
The feed and seed has it.
The Tractor Supply store has it.
It comes in different colored bags.
It comes in different size bags.
It comes at different prices.
But the ingredients are all the same.
No matter the color, no matter the size, no matter the price – it is all hog feed.
It is all the same thing.
I. His Lifestyle was Ungodly – vs. 13 …and there wasted his substance on riotous living…
I hear so many people say, “I don’t feel loved…”
Let’s be honest.
This young man didn’t leave his father’s house because he didn’t feel loved.
He left because he wanted to live a lifestyle that was not allowed at the father’s house.
II. His Longing was Unappetizing
Would fain – to covet or to lust for
Satan knows how to get people to crave the nastiest things!
- It won’t feed you when you’re hungry
- It won’t fill you when you’re hollow
- It won’t fix you when you’re hurting
NOTE: there wasted his substance
His father gave him substance; the world didn’t.
His family gave him something substantial; the sinful lifestyle he chose took it all away from him.
God’s children today are longing for the wrong things.
It won’t satisfy.
III. His Loneliness was Unattended – vs. 16 …no man gave unto him
God’s promise to his children: Hebrews 13:5 …for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
God promised to never leave you, but if you leave Him, you will be lonelier than you’ve ever been.
He was lonely because he left the only people that ever cared about him.
He was alone because he was the one that walked away.
The father missed him. But he didn’t chase him down.
The servants missed him. But they weren’t going to walk away from serving the Father to be with him.
Backslidden Christians are the most miserable people in the world.
IV. His Labor was Unrewarded – vs. 15
He had a job, but he had nothing to eat…
He worked, but he didn’t get paid.
He labored, but there was no reward.
There is not one single benefit of serving the devil!
- 5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
- 6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
He will rob you of your testimony.
He will steal your joy.
He will put out your fire.
He will steal your song.
You will serve him, and come up empty every single time.
- He Awoke – And when he came to himself…
- He Admitted – My father has bread enough to spare…I perish with hunger!
- He Acknowledged – I am no more worthy to be called thy son…
- He Arose – he arose
- He Arrived – he came to his father…