Renewed Day by Day
2 Corinthians 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
A. The Surrounding Rivalry – vs. 8, 9 “…troubled on every side…”
B. The Supernatural Resolve – vs. 1, 16 Twice he said, “We faint not…” SEE verse 8, 9
- …yet not distressed
- …but not in despair…
- …but not forsaken
- …but not destroyed
C. The Spiritual Renewal – “…the inward man is renewed day by day.”
RENEWED: new strength and vigour is given to one; to cause to grow up, new, to make new
How were they able to be renewed every day?
What was their inward strength?
There were several key elements that they would not allow themselves to forget.
I. The Privilege of the Ministry – vs. 1, 2
- 1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
- 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.
II. The Power of the Message – vs. 3-7
- 3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
- 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
- 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
III. The Praise of the Many – vs. 15
- 13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
- 14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
- 15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
IV. The Perspective of the Moment – vs. 17, 18
- 16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
- 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
- 18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal.
Conclusion: If we can remember these things, we will also discover that God will renew us day by day.
It is easy to forget when the trouble starts; when the persecution arises.
But we cannot faint if we will keep our eyes on these four things!