The Proper Perspective in Perilous Times
2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
Intro: There is no doubt about it; our world is filled with confusion, anger, division, and peril.
Definition of PERILOUS: hard to bear, troublesome, dangerous, harsh, fierce, savage
- The Chaos that Surrounds Us – vs. 1 …”that in the last days perilous times shall come”
Examples of Perilous Times:
- Marching in the streets/Constant protests/riots/bold and proud “resistance”
NOTE: If you are not sure which side is right, find out where CNN, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, The View, Rosie O’Donnell, Miley Cyrus, Madonna and Ashley Judd stands, and then jump the fence and get on the other side!
- The state of California threatening to secede from US. 1 out of 3 voters want to…
- Drug overdoses in record numbers
- Social media livestreaming suicides
- Gang violence/shootings/crime – 32 homicides in the last 30 days in Baltimore
- Uncertainties with foreign countries/Russia/Mexico
- War on terror/ISIS – Islamic State of Iraq and Syria
The fact is – we are living in perilous times.
We have to remember several things:
There have always been perilous times – this is not new. It is not even as bad as other generations of Christians:
- The early church endured extreme persecution
- Dark Ages/Middle Ages/Inquisition were without a doubt perilous time
- The Christians in Europe during WW1 and WW2 were living in perilous times
- The Christians in Middle East/Muslim countries have endured endless persecution
- The Christians during the Revolutionary War/Civil War, etc.
What we are seeing and experiencing is not new to God’s people; just unique maybe in its manifestation.
- The Comfort that Sustains Us – vs. 11 “…what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.”
One thing we can take comfort in, and that is knowing no matter what we are experiencing, God is there.
God sees it, God is in control.
I am grateful that sometime this week, a strong, conservative, pro-life candidate for the Supreme Court will be nominated.
I’m grateful for a President that for the first time in 44 years sent a delegation to the March for Life.
I’m grateful for the light at the end of the tunnel in the possibility of the overturning of Roe vs. Wade.
I’m grateful for the stirring of timeless values and conservative beliefs.
But our deliverance is not in a Supreme Court.
Our Deliverance is not through a president or a group of politicians.
Our deliverance will come through none other than the Lord God Almighty!
The Republicans is not in control. God is!
David said in Psalm 34:
- 3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
- 4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
- 5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
- 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
- 7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
- 8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
- 9 O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
- 10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.
III. The Continuation that Stabilizes Us – vs. 14 “But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of…”
In the face of perilous times, we have several options:
- Block it out and pretend it is not happening. (see verse 13 – evil men will continue to deceive…)
- Panic, sweat, lose sleep, take pills, vs. 10 – manner of life, purpose, faith, patience…
- Put the perilous times in proper perspective and continue on
It is not time to panic. It is not time to hide. It is not time to move underground.
We’re not building a bunker here at the church for the end of the world.
It is during these perilous times that our light can shine the brightest.
Our love for people can have the greatest impact.
Our focus should be on things that never change:
- Continue focusing on the Scriptures – thou has learned and been assured of (stood the test of time)
- Continue focusing on Salvation – remember that we are saved, and others need to be saved.
- Continue focusing on Sanctification – perfect,
- Continue focusing on Serving God – throughly unto all good works