Please Don’t Go To Hell
Luke 16:27, 28
Intro: In this passage, we find a story of a rich man and a poor man.
The rich man died and went to hell.
The poor man died and went to paradise.
The story ends with the rich man in hell begging Abraham to send Lazarus to warn his family.
The testimony would no doubt be for Lazarus to tell the family of the rich man, “Please don’t go to hell.”
I. The Persuasion of the Scriptures
Many do not believe what the Bible says about hell.
According to pollster George Barna:
- 76 percent of Americans believe in heaven, and 71 percent believe in hell.
- Only 32 percent believe that hell is ‘an actual place of torment and suffering.
- 40 percent believe it is ‘a state of eternal separation from God’s presence.’
- 64 percent believe that they will go to heaven,
- Only 0.005 percent believe that they will be sent to the flames.
Abraham reminded the rich man in hell that his family had access to Moses and the prophets.
- vs. 31 …if they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded…
There are multiple passages of Scripture that warn of a place called hell.
Many of the Old Testament prophets warned about a place called hell.
- 30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.
- 31 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:
- 32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
- 33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.
- Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
- Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
- Ezekiel 31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit:
Jesus preached on Hell more than He did on Heaven.
- Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
- Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
- Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
- Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
II. The Petition of the Suffering
People are in hell – praying that you don’t go there.
Every lost family member that you have that has already died is praying you don’t go there.
If you have lost a parent, a grandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a cousin, a brother, a sister, a spouse, a child…
They are everyone praying to God with all their might that you don’t go to hell.
This rich man had never had time to pray, but he’s praying now.
- vs. 27 I pray thee…that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house.
He didn’t want anyone to come to this place of torments.
- He was tormented by the THIRST – vs. 24 “…cool my tongue…”
- He was tormented by the FLAMES – vs. 24 “I am tormented in this flame.”
- He was tormented by the MEMORIES – vs. 25 “remember thou that in thy lifetime…”
- He was tormented by the REALIZATION – vs. 26 there was no escape
III. The Preparation of the Savior
Hell was not prepared for you.
It was prepared for the devil and his angels.
- Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Jesus is in Heaven right now, preparing a place for all those that believe.
He is preparing a place for all those that come to repentance.
- John 14:2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
The things that God has prepared for those that love him are out of this world!
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
Conclusion: I beg you this morning – please don’t go to hell!