Our God Is Better!
Intro: Much of the Bible is dealing with one simple but undeniable fact – OUR GOD IS BETTER!
- Aaron’s rod that devoured the rods of Pharaoh’s men – 7:8-12
- Elisha and the 450 prophets of Baal at Mt. Carmel – I Kings 18
People naturally want to be associated with success.
People want to be a part of something that is alive, healthy, prosperous.
We can invite, recruit, soul-win, witness and boldly proclaim to the world that OUR GOD IS BETTER!
What makes our God better?
I. His Person – vs. 1-3
- 1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.
- 2 Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.
- 3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’S name is to be praised.
“his name” mentioned 3 times – all caps LORD
Jehovah – “the existing One”
II. His Position – vs. 4-6 a place of ultimate preeminence
- 4 The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens.
- 5 Who is like unto the LORD our God, who dwelleth on high,
- 6 Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth!
Throughout Scripture, from Genesis to Revelation, our God is known as “the God of heaven”.
He is so big, and He is so high, that He has to humble himself to behold the things that are in heaven!
III. His Passion – vs. 7-9
- 7 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill;
- 8 That he may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people.
His Passion can be broken up into two separate categories.
A. Our God is Passionate about Restoration
God starts with dust; He doesn’t end up with it.
- Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
The dunghill is a picture of that which has been rejected and is useless and waste.
Satan took us and used us and abused us and when he was finished with us he threw us into the trash heap.
God came along and saw us in that pitiful, neglected condition and reached way down and lifted us up!!
We were the needy in the dunghill; we needed water, we needed bread, we needed healing, we needed GOD!!!
I’m THANKFUL that God lifts the needy out of that place; He doesn’t keep them there.
Satan is the one that came to steal and kill and destroy.
Death and destruction and dirt and dust and dunghills DO NOT ACCURATELY REPRESENT OUR GOD!
Let me re-state that – anything that is rundown, broken, dilapidated, and nasty doesn’t look like our God!
This goes for everything from your marriage, your mind, your morals, your money to the ministry.
- If your life is broken down, falling apart, devastated and destroyed, that does not represent our God!
- If your mind and thoughts are nothing but trash and gutter, that does not represent our God.
- If your marriage is dilapidated and broken, that does not represent our God!
- If your finances are in shambles, that does not represent the God of all sufficiency.
- If our church and property is in disarray, that does not represent our God.
God loves the poor. God loves the needy. But He doesn’t keep poor and needy.
God is not particular about what He starts with; He is however very particular about what He ends up with.
He lifts them up; he raises them up and puts them with princes.
God’s mode of operation; his passion – is to take men from ruin to royalty.
B. Our God is Passionate about Reproduction
- 9 He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.
Beginning in Genesis 1, God commanded His creation to reproduce.
God commanded the fish of the sea, the fowls of the air, the beast of the field, and his crowning creation – mankind – to BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY.
Understand – our God is the best because he takes the barren womb and transforms it into a fruit-bearing womb.
God can take the childless mother and make her the joyful mother of children.
God can take a barren life and turn it into a fruitful Christian.
God specializes in taking that which was dead and using it as an instrument of Life.
Remember Isaiah 53 – Jesus was described by the prophet as a ‘ROOT OUT OF DRY GROUND’.
God took a bunch of old sinners and breathed life into us and commanded us to bring forth fruit.
If you’re a child of God – there’s no reason why you should be barren this morning.
If you’re here today and you’re still dead in trespasses and sins, God wants to lift you up out of sin.