First Responder’s Sunday
Intro: In preparation for this special day, I asked myself the question: What do law enforcement, fire, paramedics, all have in common?
The answer is simple – their job is to help their fellowman.
They respond to the needs of others.
Their job is to be available to respond to the needs and concerns of people that are hurting, people that are in danger, people that need representation, people that need defending, people that need protection and assistance.
What a very commendable life vocation! We all greatly appreciate every single one of you and your commitment to your life’s calling – that of lending a helping hand to someone in need.
NOTE: Too much attention and media spotlight is given to the occasional dirty cop, or the firefighter that starts fires out of boredom, or the malpractice suits filed against paramedics.
We publicly and boldly stand against the Defund the Police movement.
Bottom line – there are hundreds of thousands of public servants just like yourself that get up every day and work hard to make this world a better place. All without the parades of the sports heroes, all without the publicity of the gang riots, the turf wars, drug lords, crime syndicates.
Today is your day – we all say a great big THANK YOU!
Bottom line – we know who to call when we need help.
We know who to turn to when we have a problem and need assistance from well trained, professionals.
BUT – I want to know this – WHO DO YOU TURN TO WHEN YOU NEED HELP?
I hope that you know that you can turn to God.
God should be our first choice – the first One we call because of:
A. His Power
There’s nothing worse than showing up for an emergency call and having to establish pecking order.
The city and the county bumping heads over who’s got jurisdiction.
The State Patrol wants to run the investigation, but the FBI shows up flashing badges.
The County is working the car crash but then the Game Warden takes over because they hit a deer. : )
Guess who the ranking officer is when God shows up??
Guess who’s got jurisdictional rank?
- vs. 6 – he uttered his voice, the earth melted
- vs. 7 – the LORD of hosts is with us (military terminology)
- vs. 8 – what desolations he hath made in the earth
- vs. 9 – he breaketh the bow, cutteth the spear in sunder, he burneth the chariot in the fire
Speaks of God’s military prowess and power.
B. His Peace
- vs. 2 – Therefore will not we fear…
- vs. 3 – Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake…
- vs. 10 – be still, and know that I am God
- vs. 11 – The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge
There is a peace that only God can give.
The world has a peace that it offers. It’s not the same as the one God offers.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
C. His Presence
- vs. 1 – he is a very present help
- vs. 5 – God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved…
- vs. 5 God shall help…and that right early (faster time than any FIRST RESPONDERS TEAM in the world!)
You want to know why? He’s omnipresent – He’s everywhere!!
There’s no dial tone – no answering machine – no sitting there listening to options – He’s AVAILABLE!
God is a VERY PRESENT HELP when you need because God is On Call
God is ON CALL for those in need.
Because God is such a phenomenal First Responder, why not go to Him first??
- Psalms 116:2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
- Psalms 3:4 I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
- Psalms 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
He IS ON CALL AND RESPONDS to:
I. Our Prayer for Salvation
God will change your life.
A. David’s Despair
- 1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
God inclined unto me. God was listening for his cry.
B. David’s Dilemma
horrible – means loud, tumultuous, rushing, noisy; difficult to bear.
miry clay – means sticky; had a hold; wouldn’t let go; pulled further down
C. David’s Deliverance
He brought me up. Nobody else could.
Nobody else heard his cry.
Nobody else cared.
David said it like this in Psalm 142:
- 1 I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
- 2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
- 4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.
God is the ONLY one that can save you!!
- 4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
- 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
Jesus Christ is the ONLY ONE that can save you!
If you’ll call on Him, He will save you!
- Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
The name of the Lord? What name is that?
- 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
- 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
- 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
He IS ON CALL AND RESPONDS to:
II. Our Plea for the Supernatural
- Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
You may be here today needing a miracle.
I know just Who to call!
- Jeremiah 32:27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?
You might need a miracle in your marriage.
You might need a miracle in your family.
You might need a miracle in your personal life.
God is still in the prayer-answering, miracle working business.
- 46 And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging.
- 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me.
- 48 And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me.
- 49 And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee.
- 50 And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.
- 51 And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight.
- 52 And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.
Conclusion: God is On Call this morning. Will you call upon Him?