Mountain Men Sermon Series Part 3
The Mountain of Personal Desire
Caleb – Mount Hebron
Joshua 14:12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
A. It was a Sizeable Desire – Mount Hebron is actually more of a mountain range than just a single mountain
B. It was a Specific Desire – Now therefore give me THIS mountain; not just an abstract wish; but specific.
C. It was a Significant Desire – It had cities that were great; it belonged to Arba who was a great man (vs. 15)
I. The Sparking of the Desire – vs. 7
- 22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;
- 23 Then will the LORD drive out all these nations from before you, and ye shall possess greater nations and mightier than yourselves.
- 24 Every place whereon the soles of your feet shall tread shall be yours: from the wilderness and Lebanon, from the river, the river Euphrates, even unto the uttermost sea shall your coast be.
A. The Parameters – vs. 22… NOTICE in Josh. 14 – 3 times Joshua said, “I wholly followed the Lord!
B. The Possibilities – greater and mightier than yourselves…
C. The Promise – Every place whereon the soles of your feet shall tread shall be yours:
We don’t know much about this mountain.
All we can assume is that Caleb had seen it somewhere along the way.
Maybe he had seen it when he was spying out the land as a young man.
He liked what he saw, and he wanted it.
This mountain was the SUBSTANCE of the promise that God had made to him in Deut. 11.
NOTE: …give me this mountain, whereof the Lord spake in that day.
Caleb took this mountain to be the fulfillment of the promise of God.
That mountain could be anything “greater and mightier than you.”
That MOUNTAIN OF PERSONAL DESIRE could be:
- A dynamic prayer life.
- A deeper walk with God.
- A devoted spouse that loves God as much as you do.
- A dedicated family that wants to serve God with you.
- A door of service to be opened.
- A desperate longing to be used of God.
II. The Setbacks of the Desire – vs. 8
A. The Setback of False Reports (Numbers 13:31, 32)
B. The Setback of Faithless Brethren (Numbers 14:28-38)
C. The Setback of Forty-Five Years (Josh. 14:10)
III. The Seizing of the Desire
That mountain fell into the hands of the Israelites in Joshua 11
- 21 And at that time came Joshua, and cut off the Anakims from the mountains, from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and from all the mountains of Judah, and from all the mountains of Israel: Joshua destroyed them utterly with their cities.
- 22 There was none of the Anakims left in the land of the children of Israel: only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, there remained.
- 23 So Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the LORD said unto Moses; and Joshua gave it for an inheritance unto Israel according to their divisions by their tribes. And the land rested from war.
It was time for Joshua to claim HIS MOUNTAIN!
Now therefore GIVE ME!!
I want it!!
I’ve wanted it for a long time!
I have wanted it ever since I knew it existed!
I have thought about it every day!
See verse 13 – and Joshua blessed him and gave unto Caleb Hebron for an inheritance.