The Word was Made Flesh
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
I. The Pre-Existence of the Word
The Son of God didn’t begin in Bethlehem.
The Son of God didn’t begin in Mary’s womb.
The Son of God – The Word – has always existed.
- John 1:1-3
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
- 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one…
II. The Personification of the Word
A. It was a Sovereign Personification
- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh,
The Wonder of Wonders
The wonder of wonders as she looked on his face, that this little boy spoke the worlds in their place. The stars and the moon, shining brightly on them, the earth and the sun were created by him.
The wonder of wonders as she heard his small cry, that this voice had thundered on Mount Sinai. The hand that she held so tenderly, had made a dry path thru the mighty Red Sea.
The wonder of wonders as she looked down and smiled, that he was her maker as well as her child. He created the womb that had given him birth, he was God incarnate come down to the earth.
The wonder of wonders as a Father looked on, in eternity past this was His Son.
Had sent him to die on Calvary’s tree, and that is the wonder of wonders to me.
The wonder of wonders oh how could it be, that God became flesh and was given for me.
The Almighty came down and walked among men, the wonder of wonders He died for my sin.
B. It was a Submissive Personification
- John 1:14 …and dwelt among us,
- 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
- 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
- 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
C. It was a Spectacular Personification
- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
I John 1:1-3
- 1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
- 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
- 3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
- 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
- 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
- 69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
He had the words of life because He WAS the Word of life!
III. The Perpetuity of the Word
He didn’t stop being the Word when He died on the cross.
He didn’t stop being the Word when He was buried in the tomb.
He didn’t stop being the Word when He rose from the dead.
- 22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
- 23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
- 24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
- 25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
- 26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
- 27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
- 28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.
The man Christ Jesus is still the Only Way!
- 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
The Word of God will one day come back as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS!
- 11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
- 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
- 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
- 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
- 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
- 16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.