The Miracle of the Virgin Birth
Introduction: To say just a few words about this holiday, there has been a great misconception of what is to be celebrated at Christmas time.
- Christmas has been Confused- (Santa Claus; Elves; Frosty the Snow Man…)
- Christmas has been Commercialized – (Largest marketing season of the year)
- Christmas has been Corrupted – (parties; drinking; drunkenness)
- Christmas has been Condemned (politically incorrect; danger of offending someone)
Biblical history records some spectacular births:
(1) The birth of Isaac to a 100 year old barren woman who laughed at the though of having a child was no doubt a
(2) In the book of Judges we read of a man named Manoah whose wife experienced a miracle, and would give birth to a man named Samson, the mightiest man of all Scripture.
(3) Samuel the prophet was born in a miraculous way. His mother Hannah was unable to bear children, and the Lord touched her and she brought forth the greatest prophet of the Old Testament.
(4) Just 6 months before the birth of Jesus, a barren woman named Elizabeth gave birth through the power of God, and she called the name of her son John. John the Baptist would be the forerunner of our Lord. The Bible
said that he was filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother’s womb.
- The Miraculous Birth of Isaac was Glorious. He was called the Son of Promise. But Jesus Christ was born the Son of God that would promise to all eternal life.
- The Miraculous Birth of Samson was Glorious. He was called the Mightiest man in the Bible. But Jesus Christ was born the Mighty God that would deliver the world.
- The Miraculous Birth of Samuel was Glorious. He was called the Greatest Prophet that ever lived. But Jesus Christ was born Prophet, Priest, and King.
- The Miraculous Birth of John the Baptist was Glorious. He was called by Jesus Himself the Greatest Man that Ever Lived. But Jesus Christ was born the God-Man that would save the human race from sin. Taking all of these miraculous births into consideration, there is one birth that rises to the top of them all, the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
I. There was a Sovereign Design – vs.18-20
- By the undeniable testimony of Scripture, Jesus Christ was conceived by God, and born of a virgin.
- Notice the phrase in vs.18, “When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together,” You will also note what was said in Prophecy in vs.22-23. Vs. 24-25 also proves the case of Virgin Birth.
- Joseph and Mary experienced no sexual contact before their marriage.
- That is a virtue that the Bible places great value on, virginity until marriage, and monogamy in marriage. I’m afraid that if God were to look for a candidate to supply a virgin birth today, the search would be strenuous.
- It was Mary’s testimony of virginity that protected her and Jesus from the accusation of Jesus being born by some other man.
- Notice that word “virgin” in vs.23. That word occurs only 34 times in Scripture. In every use of that word, it means a woman that has never been involved sexually.
- Jesus is never called the Son of Joseph, and Joseph is never referred to as His Father.
II. There was a Skeptical Dispute
1. It was Jesus claim about the manner of His birth that caused the Jewish leaders of His day to seek to kill Him. He had to die because of how He was born.
- John 5:18 said, “Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.”
2. That did not come to Jesus as a surprise. In Acts 2:23, “Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:”
3. All through the life of Jesus He was slandered by the accusation that He was the illegitimate son of Mary by Joseph, or by some other man.
- John 8:38-42 said, “I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. 41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. 42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.”
When the Jews said, “We be not born of fornication; we have one Father” they were insulting the claim of a Virgin Birth.
They were insinuating that Jesus was an illegitimate child, and that Mary had relationships with many men, in so much that Jesus did not know who His Father was.
Religious polls of the last few years have revealed a continuing decline in the people who believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
It causes us to ask the question: How important is the Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ? It is the central fact of Christianity.
The whole foundation of Theology is built on the Virgin Birth.
- To deny the Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ is to deny His Deity.
- To deny the Deity of Jesus Christ is to deny His Sinless Life.
- To deny the Sinless Life of Jesus Christ is to deny His Sinless Sacrificial Death.
- To deny His Sinless Sacrifice is to deny His Triumphant Resurrection.
- To deny His Triumphant Resurrection is to deny His Glorious Return.
4. Science has brought us no explanation for the Virgin Birth. History has brought us no explanation for the Virgin Birth. Man has brought us no explanation for the Virgin Birth. It is not to be explained. It is to be believed.
- You may wonder how we can believe such an un-explainable truth, that Jesus Christ was 100% Man and 100% God, born of a virgin:
- The same way that we believe in the Trinity.
- The same way that we believe in the Inspiration of the Scriptures.
- The same way that we believe in Heaven.
- The same way that we believe in Eternal Security.
5. All of these foundational truths of our faith stand and fall together. You can believe one without believing them all, and yet you cannot believe them all and leave just one out.
III. There was a Saving Deliverance vs.21
Illustration. In the Christmas song, “Mary Did You Know,” the question is asked of Mary,
“Mary did you know that your Baby Boy will one day walk on water? Mary did you know that your Baby Boy will save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your Baby Boy has come to make you new? This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you?”
Illustration: Like a dying, mangled dog lying in the street that has been hit by a car is totally helpless, we were too.
- He became our High Priest – who can be touched with the feelings of our infirmities
- He became our Horrible Past – who became sin for us who knew no sin
- He became our Hiding Place – come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest!
Make no mistake about it friend, Jesus came for the purpose of deliverance. The name “Jesus” means Savior.
A. He Delivered us from the Power of Sin.
Paul said, “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.”
B. He Delivered us from the Penalty of Sin.
Paul said, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
C. One day, He will Deliver us from the Presence of Sin.
Jude said, “Now unto him that is able to….. present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy”