Habakkuk 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Living By Faith Sermon Series Part 1
The Importance of Faith
Intro: Jesus asked the question in Luke 18:8 Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
What does it mean to “Live by Faith”? Is that really what it means?
Faith is a key element in the Christian life. The Bible is clear; without faith, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God.
Notice the role of faith in our lives:
- Faith on the part of the soul-winner that told us about Jesus
- Psalms 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
- Faith to be saved was produced by the Word of God
- Romans 10:14-17 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- Faith had to be placed in the message in order for it to work.
- Hebrews 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
- Faith is a requirement to please God
- Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- Faith is what makes prayer work
- James 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
- Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
- Faith is what makes missions giving work
- II Cor. 10:14 For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ: Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men’s labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man’s line of things made ready to our hand.
- Faith is what makes overcoming Satan work
- Ephesians 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
- Faith is what makes everything work
- Romans 14:23…for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Conclusion: It is not enough to have the faith to get saved. It is not enough to have faith periodically. We must live by faith. Faith in God must be demonstrated all day, every day.