Life in La-La Land
II Thessalonians 2:9-12
Intro: We live in a world that is filled with “virtual reality”. It is on every corner, in every store, in every home, in every backpack, every bedroom, on every cell-phone, iPad, computer, the internet, everywhere!
What’s worse, is it is in every CHURCH in America – people living a life that is NOT real.
God’s Word tells us that during the Great Tribulation, the Ant-Christ will do signs and wonders and people will be turned over to STRONG DELUSION and believe a lie.
They ALREADY ARE being turned over to strong delusion. They live in a fantasy world; a world that is not REAL!
We spend 3 billion hours a week as a planet playing videogames. Currently there are more than half a billion people worldwide playing computer and videogames at least an hour a day — and 183 million in the U.S. alone. The younger you are, the more likely you are to be a gamer — 99% of boys under 18 and 94% of girls under 18 report playing videogames regularly. The average young person racks up 10,000 hours of gaming by the age of 21 — or 24 hours less than they spend in a classroom for all of middle and high school if they have perfect attendance.
The NPD Group describes “core gamers” as any individuals who spend more than five hours a week playing games on a home console (such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One), a Windows PC or a Mac. By these standards, there are currently over 34 million core gamers in the United States, and they are playing video games for an average of 22 hours every week.
The results of this industry is a generation of young people and young adults that are DETACHED FROM REALITY!
They have a place for people like this – a world where they all live happily together.
It’s a place that sane, sensible, connected and responsible people call ‘La-La Land’.
Dictionary: La-La Land: a state of being out of touch with reality; a place that is remote from reality
The Biblical terms for those living in “La-La Land” are:
- The Simple – means “naïve”
- Proverbs 7:7 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
- The Fool – Proverbs 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
- The Scorner – Proverbs 13:1 A wise son heareth his father’s instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
- The Brutish – Psalms 92:6 A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this.
Living in La-La Land is the characteristic of those that are:
A. Lost in your Sin – lost people are described as dead, blind, deaf, deceived, children of darkness
- 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
When a person gets saved, the Holy Spirit moves in, and opens their eyes to REALITY.
- Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
B. The Lies of Satan
- Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
C. The Lifestyle of Society – – the world around you is filling your heart, your mind and your ears with lies
- TV, movies, video games, politicians, music, billboards, commercials – they all speak lies and deceive.
I. A Life of no Activity
Life in La-La Land
Thanks to virtual reality…
- You don’t have to get out of your chair. You don’t have to leave your room.
- You can go deer hunting without every getting out of your pajamas!
- You don’t have to go outside and play. You don’t EVER have to break a sweat or get dirty.
- You don’t ever have to get tired, or work, or earn money.
- You don’t ever have to clean anything, or wash anything, or grow anything, or build anything.
- You don’t ever have to help anybody, or be a blessing to anybody, or think about anybody.
- You can be a couch potato, and sleep in every day, and take naps all day long, and sit around.
- You don’t have to cook, to make up your bed, or hang up your clothes, or do laundry, or pick up after yourself.
- If you decide to cook, you don’t have to clean the kitchen, wash the dishes or put anything back where it goes.
- You don’t have to work for anything you have, or fix anything that you break, or pay for anything that you use.
- You don’t have to prepare for anything, study for anything, learn anything, or contribute to anything.
- You don’t have to serve anybody, you don’t have to lend a helping hand, be kind and helpful to anybody.
- You don’t have to buy anything that you need with your own money; only things that you want.
- If it is something that you NEED, then somebody else pays for it and you get to save your money for yourself.
- There is never a reason to be productive, or contribute to the family in any significant way
- You don’t have to do anything, and life will be just fine.
- You have no responsibility.
- If you don’t do it, someone else will.
- You don’t have to do anything to be a good Christian. It’ll just happen.
- You don’t have to do anything to have a good marriage. It’ll just happen.
- You don’t have to do anything to raise good kids. They’ll just turn out.
- You don’t have to support world missions. The world will just get saved. It’ll just happen.
- You don’t have to pray. It’ll just happen.
- You don’t have to give toward the church’s expenses. It’ll just get paid.
In the Real World
- Proverbs 19:24 A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.
- Proverbs 26:14 As the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful upon his bed.
- Proverbs 19:15 Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.
- Ecclesiastes 10:18 By much slothfulness the building decayeth; and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through.
II. A Life of no Authority
Life in La-La Land…
- You don’t have to listen to anybody or obey anybody.
- You can do whatever you want to do.
- There are no rules, no leadership, no parental authority, no pastoral authority, no civil authority.
- Nobody can tell you what to do. Or how to act. Or to tell you “NO”.
ILLUSTRATION: Read news article about LA school that will no longer suspend students for being defiant.
In the Real World
- Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
- Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
III. A Life of no Accountability
Life in La-La Land
- There are no expectations. No demands. No requirements. No questions. Nothing.
- There is nobody to check on you, or keep up with you.
- Nobody will ever ask you what you are going to do, or what you’ve done.
- Nobody will ever expect you to do what you said you will do.
- Nobody will ever ask you to do anything that you should do.
- There is nobody breathing down your neck – ever!
- No questions; you never have to give answers about your friends, your habits, your activities. Ever!
- You can sin and no one will ever know.
- You can lie and no one will ever discover the truth.
- You can pretend and no one will ever be the wiser.
- You can fake it and no one will ever find out.
- You can do just enough to get by and it will never matter.
- You can shirk your duties and they will still get done.
- You can avoid those over you and there will be no repercussions.
- You can go back on your promises and it will be just fine.
In the Real World
- Luke 12:48 For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
- Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
IV. A Life of no Adversaries
Life in La-La Land
- The people that are shooting at you don’t really want to hurt you. It’s just a game.
- The enemies are just images that pop up and you press a button and they go away.
- There is no harm, no danger, nobody out to get you, kill you, or destroy you. It’s perfectly safe!
- Everybody is your friend, and you will fit in anywhere with anybody and be OK.
- There is no reason for your parents to be concerned about your new boyfriend or new girlfriend. They’re great!
Job 39:13-18 Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks? or wings and feathers unto the ostrich? Which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in dust, And forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them. She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not hers: her labour is in vain without fear; Because God hath deprived her of wisdom, neither hath he imparted to her understanding. What time she lifteth up herself on high, she scorneth the horse and his rider.
The Real World
- 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
- John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy…
There is a devil that is out to destroy your life.
The world is not your friend!
That boyfriend or girlfriend that mocks your parents and your church and the Bible is not your friend!
That girlfriend that urges you to ignore your parents will one day when you’re married ignore you.
That boyfriend that tries to get you to commit fornication today will try to get you to commit abortion tomorrow.
That friend that will cover for you today will be in a perfect position to blackmail you tomorrow.
The sibling that will lie for you today will throw you under the bus tomorrow.
The co-worker that will cover for you today will get you fired next week.
That is the real world.
- 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.… My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path: For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
V. A Life of no Aftermath
Life in La-La Land
- There are no consequences for your actions.
- There is no price to pay for your bad choices.
- There are no repercussions for your bad decision.
- You are invincible – immortal – you will live forever.
- Death is reversed by just hitting PLAY AGAIN on your came controller.
- You can die and live again over and over! The “game” is never really “over”. You can just start all over again!
- Whatever you want is cool, and there is nothing bad going to happen.
- It’s your life, and whatever you choose to do will turn out great.
- You can make as many bad choices as you want to and still have a great, wonderful life.
- You can fornicate and never get any diseases or produce any illegitimate children.
- You can look at pornography and still have a good marriage and raise godly children.
- You can lay out of church, never read your Bible, never pray and still walk with God.
- You can quit school, never study and make good grades and still get a good paying job.
- Or better yet, you don’t have to get a job, and somebody that cares about you will pay your way!
- You can disrespect your parents, rebel against their authority and grow up to be a successful spouse and parent.
- You can smoke, and drink, and experiment with drugs and you will never become addicted.
- You can steal from people and never get caught or go to jail.
- You can dress immodestly and walk around in skimpy clothing and never cause anybody to lust after you.
- You can drive fast and reckless and never get in an accident or hurt yourself or anybody.
- You can waste your money on frivolous toys and pleasures and others will provide all your needs for you.
- You can ignore the preaching, the teaching, the admonition of your parents, your pastor and God.
- You can forsake the ways of truth and righteousness and still live happily ever after.
- You can live anyway you want to, hurt as many people as you want to, trample the blood of Christ all your life, play church, go through all the motions of being a “Christian”, live your entire life contrary to the Word of God, with no regard for God, the church, the Holy Spirit, the cross of Calvary and still die and go to Heaven.
THAT, MY FRIEND, IS LIFE IN LA-LA LAND!!
But in the Real World….
- Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
When God says GAME OVER!!!, the game really is over!