Jesus – One of a Kind
John 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
In a day where the word “diversity” is used for everything, I want to turn your attention this morning to the uniqueness of the Lord Jesus Christ. There has never been another man like Him.
In our text, Jesus is talking to His disciples.
- From verse 1-11, he talked to them about their relationship with the Father.
- From verse 12-17, he talked to them about their relationship with each other.
- From verse 18-25, he talked to them about their relationship with the world.
He makes a statement in verse 24 that I want to use this morning as a spring-board.
“IF I HAD NOT DONE AMONG THEM THE WORKS WHICH NONE OTHER MAN DID…”
We all know that Jesus Christ was without a doubt the most unusual, incomparable person that has ever walked on this earth.
But this morning, I want to highlight just a few of those unique qualities and characteristics.
I’m preaching this morning on JESUS – ONE OF A KIND.
I. One of a Kind in His Presentation
A. Unprecedented Anticipation
Never before have people talked about a person that hasn’t been born yet.
They talked about you for 9 months before you were born; but Jesus – it was thousands of years.
He was ONE OF A KIND in that for thousands of years,
civilization eagerly awaited His arrival.
He was first announced in the Garden of Eden.
B. Unbelievable Arrival
Never before has a baby been born of a Virgin.
Never before has a young unmarried, virtuous woman been visited by an angel and told she would have a child.
Never before had a baby been wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.
Never before has a baby’s birth been announced with a heavenly host of angels.
Never before has a baby being born caused such a stir in the palace.
Never before has the birth of a child resulted in the mass slaughter of babies throughout the countryside.
Never before has a man been visited by an angel in a dream and told to marry his expectant fiancé.
Never before has the birth of a baby been announced with a star in the heavens.
Never before has the coming of a child moved wise men to travel and present gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Without a doubt – Jesus Christ is ONE OF A KIND!
C. Unorthodox Announcement – John the Baptist
A Nazarite; camel’s hair outfit; leather girdle.
Ate honey and wild locusts.
- Crying in the wilderness – make his paths straight!
- Crying in the wilderness – bring fruit meat for repentance!
- Crying in the wilderness – the one that cometh after me was before me; who’s shoe latchet I am unworthy to loose.
- Crying in the wilderness – he must increase, but I must decrease.
- Crying the wilderness – behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world!
II. One of a Kind in His Preaching
TURN TO JOHN 7
Notice in John 7:43 – there was division because of him. And some of them would have taken him, but no man laid hands on him.
NOTICE VERSE 45 – Then came the officers of the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
Notice their reply in John 7:46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.
LOOK AT verses 35-31
- Never before has a man’s preaching BROUGHT HOPE and BRED HATRED at the same time.
- Never before has a man RECRUITED THE REPROBATES and REBUKED THE RELIGIOUS at the same time.
- Never before has a man EXTENDED MERCY TO THE HURTING while EXPOSING THE MOTIVES OF THE HIERARCHY.
- Never before has a man preached to love your enemies, to pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you.
In John 6:66-71
A. His Preaching was Unpopular – vs. 66 from that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him
B. His Preaching was Unequalled – vs. 67, 68 …to whom shall we go? for thou hast the words of life.
C. His Preaching was Unreserved – vs. 70, 71 …I chose you twelve, and one of you is a devil.
III. One of a Kind in His Power
The man sick with the palsy let down through the roof.
- Mark 2:12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.
Healed the man that was deaf and had a speech impediment.
- Mark 7:37 And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak.
Jesus rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.
- Matthew 8:27 But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
They brought to Jesus a dumb man, possessed with a devil.
- Matthew 9:33 And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen in Israel.
IV. One of a Kind in His Punishment
Never before has a man predicted his death so accurately and so passionately.
Never before has a man sweat drops of blood in anticipation of being separated from God for just a few hours.
Never before has a man been betrayed by those that knew without a doubt he was innocent.
Never before has a man caused an entire squadron of soldiers to fall over backwards when being arrested.
Never before has a man been sentenced to death after a public proclamation of being found faultless.
Never before has a man been sentenced to die of capital punishment that had never sinned one time.
Never before has a man prayed for others to be forgiven while he was dying on a cross.
Never before has a man caused an earthquake and the heavens to go black when he took his last breath.
Never before has a man died, and in doing so, made a way for all humanity to live.
V. One of a Kind in His Pardon
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- John 14:6 Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me.