Is The Light Bothering You?
Intro: This passage is talking about John the Baptist. He was a man sent from God.
John the Baptist was a light. But not THE Light.
- 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
- 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
- 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
- 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
- His Mission – prepare the way
- His Message – REPENT! Bring fruit meet for repentance…
- His Ministry – It lasted all of six months
- His Martyrdom – Mark 6:27 he was beheaded
His murder was:
- Instigated by the mama
- Initiated by the daughter
- Implemented by the stepfather
The whole family got in on the killing of God’s man!
NOTE: Prior to John’s death, Herod the king actually liked John.
- SEE Mark 6:20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.
A. Herod’s Respect – “For Herod feared John…”
B. Herod’s Recognition – “…knowing that he was a just and an holy…”
C. Herod’s Regard – “…and observed him…”
D. Herod’s Response – “…and when he heard him, he did many things…”
E. Herod’s Rejoicing – “…and heard him gladly.” (See Matthew 13:20, 21 …anon with joy received it…)
BUT!! Herod’s response to John the Baptist; his response to the light, changed.
- John 5:35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
- He was a Burning Light – burning: set on fire; consumed;
- He was a Bright Light – shining: to bring forth into the light, cause to shine, shed light
- He was a Bothering Light – ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light…
Some people are turned off by the light.
They rebel against it.
- Job 24:13 They are of those that rebel against the light; they know not the ways thereof, nor abide in the paths thereof.
There’s a reason why the light bothers people.
The light begins to bother people because of…
I. The Activity that It Reveals
- 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
- 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
- 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
- Ephesians 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
David said it like this:
- Psalms 90:8 Thou hast set our iniquities before thee, our secret sins in the light of thy countenance.
II. The Accountability that It Requires
Exposure to light comes with responsibility!
- 35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
- 36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
I John 1
- 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
- 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
III. The Areas that It Reaches
The woman in Luke 15 lost a silver coin. As she searched, she did something that only makes sense.
- 8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
LOOK at 2 Corinthians 4:1-7
Light reaches the MIND vs. 4 and HEART vs. 6
- 1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
- 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.
- 3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
- 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
- 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Conclusion: Does the light bother you? Or…are you thankful for it?
The Light INVADES, INTRUDES, AND INTERRUPTS. Thank God for His light!!