I Am A Christian Sermon Series
1 Peter 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
Introduction: I want to say this morning how grateful I am that I am a Christian!
It’s politically incorrect to say anything negative about a Muslim or Islam, but it is open season on Bible-believing Christians.
We have the word “Islamophobia” in our vocabulary, but have you ever heard a politician or a news anchor use the word “Christianphobe”? Or “Biblephobe”? NO!
There has never been a belief system so misrepresented as Christianity.
ILLUSTRATION: Last week, (Sept. 13th) Chelsea Clinton made the following statement on a public platform.
In response to a question about how she stayed optimistic about her fight to keep abortion legal, Clinton replied that “every day I make the moral choice to be optimistic that my efforts and my energies, particularly when I’m fortunate enough to be in partnership with fellow travelers, hopefully will make a difference. And when I think about all of the statistics — that are painful — of what women are confronting,” she continued, “today in our country, and what even more women confronted pre-Roe (Roe versus Wade decision of 1973) and how many women died and how many more women were maimed because of unsafe abortion practices, we just can’t go back to that. “That’s unconscionable to me, and also, I’m sure that this will unleash another wave of hate in my direction, but as a deeply religious person, it’s also unchristian to me,” she concluded.
There has never been a belief system as hated, mocked and degraded as Christianity.
I’m still glad to be one!!!
The Difference in Christianity
Some Interesting Things about this Chapter:
- We see a Contrast in Thinking – vs. 4; 12 they think it strange; think it not strange
- We see a Contrast in Wills – vs. 2 will of God; vs. 3 the will of the Gentiles; vs. 19 the will of God
- We see a Contrast in Judgments – vs. 5, 6; vs. 17
- We see a Contrast in Lifestyles – vs. 3,4; 7-10
A. It is Different in its Founding
- It was Planned before the foundation of the world. – I Peter 1:19, 20 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
- It was Promised to the first family that ever lived. Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
- It was Pictured throughout the entire Old Testament.
- It was Prophesied by countless prophecies.
- It was Prepared by a Nazarite. (John the Baptist)
- It was Practiced by a Nazarene.
- It was Purchased by the shedding of innocent blood.
- It was Propagated by the very people that were sent to destroy it. – Acts 9
Every religion under the sun has a story of origin, but none of them have what Christianity has.
- A Founder that was born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14
- A Founder that lived a sinless life. I Peter 2:21, 22
- A Founder that died for His followers. – I Peter 3:18a
- A Founder that rose from the dead by his own power. – I Peter 3:19b
- A Founder that ascended bodily into the heavens in full view of his disciples. – I Peter 3:22
- A Founder that personally indwells every single one of his disciples. Romans 8:9, 10 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
B. It is Different in its Focus
1. The Sinner
- Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
2. The Sick
- Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
C. It is Different in its Formula
- Requires a Book
- II Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- Requires Blood
- Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
- Exodus 12:13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
- Requires Belief
- Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
D. It is Different in its Future
- Its Liberation
We have been liberated from:
- The Power of Satan
- The Power of Sin
- The Power of Self
- Heb. 2:14, 15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
- Its Lifestyle
- John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
- Its Longevity
- John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.