Hunger and Thirst Series – Part 4
Hunger and Thirst for God’s Precepts
1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
Intro: Amos 8:11, 12 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
I. We should Desire it because of its Source
We should desire the precepts of God’s word because it is the very word of God.
Straight from His heart; from His mouth; from His lips to our ears and to our hearts.
- Psalms 119:40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
- Psalms 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
- Psalm 119:72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me that thousands of gold and silver.
II. We should Delight in it because of its Substance
Our text: SINCERE MILK guileless, in things: unmixed, unadulterated, without dishonest intent, guileless
- Psalms 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
- Psalms 119:77 Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.
- The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
- The Testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
- The Statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.
- The Commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
- The Fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.
- The Judgments of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
III. We should Digest it because of its Strength
- Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
- Psalms 119:93 I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
- Psalms 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Power to Convict
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Power to Convert
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Power to Correct
- II Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Power to Cleanse
- Psalm 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Power to Conquer
- Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Power to Comfort
- I Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.