How to Pray for the Church Service
Isaiah 56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
Intro: Here at Calvary Baptist Church, we have a Prayer Ministry. We open the balcony before each service and give people an opportunity to pray. It is my belief that one of our shortcomings here is the utilization of the prayer room time before the service. There is something special about praying before the church service. We are entering into a time that unique to any other time of the week.
- A time for spiritual warfare
- A time for sowing the Word
- A time for supernatural working
- A time for saints worshipping together
- A time for singing wonderful praise to the Lord
The church service is a time that should be bathed in prayer.
There are many things that should be prayed about, but here is a list of how to pray for the church service.
I. Pray for the Lord to be Supreme
- In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
- Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
- And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
- And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
- 34 Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
- 35 And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.
II. Pray for the Leadership to be Spirit-led
Read Numbers 20:6-12
Moses and Aaron had just walked out of the Tabernacle where God’s glory was present.
God spoke to them and gave them clear, specific guidance.
But in a moment of fleshly pride and frustration, Moses failed to follow the Lord’s words.
As a result, he made a horrible mistake and was prevented from entering into Canaan.
III. Pray for the Listeners to be Sensitive
- 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
- John 2:5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
- Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
If the listeners will be sensitive to the Word of God, and the voice of God, we will be in good shape.
- 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
- 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
- 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
- 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
IV. Pray for the Loads to be Surrendered
- 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- 1 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
- 2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
- 3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
- 4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
- 26 I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.
- 27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
- 28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
V. Pray for the Longings to be Satisfied
Have you ever come to church with a longing that only God could meet?
- 8 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
- 9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
VI. Pray for the Lost to be Saved
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
There is not a service that goes by here that there is at least one unsaved person in attendance.
We should pray that the Holy Spirit would deal with them, convict them and draw them to salvation.
Imagine if God’s people prayed before each service that not a single person would leave the service lost!