Hold On For Dear Life
Proverbs 4:13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
I. The Directive – “Take fast hold of instruction…”
A. It’s a Personal Directive – Take is an imperative statement with YOU as the understood subject.
Nobody else can do it for you.
It’s up to you. This is a personal assignment.
B. It’s a Passionate Directive – “Take FAST hold.” That means with a death grip!
TAKE FAST HOLD: Hebrew: to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be
courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute, be sore
C. It’s a Precise Directive – “Take fast hold of INSTRUCTION.”
You can hang onto a lot of things, but instruction is more important.
The Bible doesn’t say: TAKE FAST HOLD of your money. TAKE FAST HOLD of your job. TAKE FAST HOLD of your house. TAKE FAST HOLD of your friends. It says TAKE FAST HOLD of INSTRUCTION!!
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
II. The Danger – “…let her not go: keep her…”
A. The Danger of Forgetting – Proverbs 3:1 “My son, forget not my law…”
- Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
B. The Danger of Forsaking – Proverbs 1:8 “…forsake not the law of thy mother.”
- Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
- Proverbs 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- Proverbs 6:20 My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
C. The Danger of Frowardness
- Jeremiah 32:33 And they have turned unto me the back, and not the face: though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.
Refusing to listen doesn’t exempt you from the obligation to obey that came with it.
D. The Danger of Fowls – Satan is a thief; he cometh but for to steal, and to kill, and destroy.
- 4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
- 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
III. The Dividends – “…for she is thy life.”
The Bible is clear in multiple places: Instruction is the secret to a long and prosperous life.
- Proverbs 4:13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
- Proverbs 10:17 He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.
- Proverbs 16:22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
- Proverbs 5:23 He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.