Help! My Mama is an Ostrich!
Intro: Job give us some insight into the parenting style of the ostrich.
- They are Disadvantaged – vs. 13 wings that won’t fly
- They are Deprived – vs. 17 God hath deprived her of wisdom; neither hath he imparted understanding
- They are Delusional – vs. 18 – Lifteth up herself on high; scorneth the horse and his rider
You are NOT Disadvantaged – God has given you unlimited resources.
The Bible – Godly mothers – successful women that have raised good kids.
You are NOT Deprived – James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom… SEE Job 35:10, 11
- Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
You are NOT Delusional – You should have the humility to know you need God to help you!
Several key characteristics of the parenting mistakes of the Ostrich are:
I. Their Children are Unsupervised – vs. 14a
The parenting style of the ostrich is to lay her eggs and then walk off and leave them.
- Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
Children require 24/7 supervision.
You can’t let them just run around and go anywhere they want to.
Where are you teenagers? Do you know who they are with? What they are doing?
II. Their Care is Unholy – vs. 14b …warmeth them in the dust.
She leaves the most common elements of the world to raise her offspring.
The dust represents the most base, most common, most unclean, most worthless thing on the planet.
Jesus washed the dust off of the feet of the disciples.
If you leave your children to be raised by the carnality of TV/Hollywood, that’s a bad mistake!
Ungodly family members that curse and blow cigarette smoke in their face.
You are warming your children in the dust!
III. The Confidence is Unrealistic – vs. 15
Oh they’ll be fine! I trust them!
Forgetteth that the foot may crush them.
The feet of the world is just waiting to crush your children.
How can you forget? You were a kid once! You were a teenager once!
Remember the crushing feet of the world??
Remember the wild beast that broke you??
That same wild beast wants to break your children!
IV. Their Communication is Unkind – vs. 16
Hardened: to make hard, treat hardly, treat severely; make stubborn; treat roughly
Parents that yell at the children make them stubborn.
- Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
- Lamentations 4:3 Even the sea monsters draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones: the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
Listen to me: if your children make you angry all day every day, you’re doing it wrong.
If your children are angry – you’re doing it wrong!
- Colossians 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
- Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
V. Their Commitment is Unrewarding – vs. 16b …her labour is in vain without fear.
She went to the trouble to give birth.
She went to the trouble to hide her eggs in the dust.
She will be extremely fortunate if her eggs hatch.
The way some parents raise their children, it will be nothing short of a miracle if they turn out.
All that labor of raising them is in vain if there is no fear of God ingrained in them.
The ostrich looks at the horse and rider and mocks – she scorns.
God give us humility and wisdom to raise our children for God!