Hearing the Spirit
Acts 16:7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia:
but the Spirit suffered them not.
Intro: One of the most needful things in the life of a Christian is the ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. It is amazing how few Christians really understand what it means to be “led by the Spirit”.
Notice some Biblical facts pertaining to this truth:
- Being led by the Spirit is evidence of salvation.
- Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
- The Spirit can lead you into a time and place of testing
- Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
(Says it again in Luke 4:1)
James 1:13 says that we are not tempted of God, but God can allow and permit the believer to be tempted.
- The leadership of the Spirit can stop you from doing something good.
- Acts 16:6, 7 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.
Hearing the Spirit requires us to:
- Remember the Ministry of the Holy Spirit
- John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
- Recognize the Voice of the Holy Spirit
The secret to hearing the voice of the Spirit is to be full of the Holy Spirit.
In this story, Philip was preaching in Samaria. People were getting saved. God was working.
Then, the Bible says that an angel of the Lord came to him (vs. 26)
- Acts 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
Acts 10:19, 20 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee. Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
III. Rest in the Leadership of the Holy Spirit
When the Spirit speaks, don’t argue. It will be to your own detriment!
God knows what He is doing!
- Psalms 143:10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.